Sockets for inside the Enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again,

I've decided I would like to have the lights inside the enclosure, as opposed to sitting atop it, but I have a couple questions. First, what kind of sockets do I need to look for? And second, does the CHE bulb need a cover/dome, or is it safe without a cover in the socket?
Thanks,
.ks.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Are you talking about light sockets, electrical sockets, or both?

For UV and general lighting, IMO you'd be better off with fluorescent fixtures. T5 for the UVB; general lighting could be T5 or T8, and LED if desired.

For basking light and/or CHE, you have a lot of choices, ranging from bare ceramic sockets to clamp-on dome fixtures to double fixtures to recessed aimable fixtures.

I don't think you want a cover over the CHE for safety/fire reasons. Basking lights shouldn't need one either, depending on the type of fixture & bulb. As long as your pet isn't able to burn itself on either bulb, you should be OK.

I used a recessed aimable eyeball fixture for a basking light.
full

Don't need a CHE, as the enclosure never drops below ~70°F±

kstwrites90

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":1ax0edd3 said:
Are you talking about light sockets, electrical sockets, or both?

For UV and general lighting, IMO you'd be better off with fluorescent fixtures. T5 for the UVB; general lighting could be T5 or T8, and LED if desired.

For basking light and/or CHE, you have a lot of choices, ranging from bare ceramic sockets to clamp-on dome fixtures to double fixtures to recessed aimable fixtures.

I don't think you want a cover over the CHE for safety/fire reasons. Basking lights shouldn't need one either, depending on the type of fixture & bulb. As long as your pet isn't able to burn itself on either bulb, you should be OK.

I used a recessed aimable eyeball fixture for a basking light.
full

Don't need a CHE, as the enclosure never drops below ~70°F±

Thank you for the info! Would either of these be suitable for a basking and che bulb. My house can get on the chiller side, so I'd rather have one and not need it. :).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YWPPLMH/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A12ULPZPFSS8ET&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081DQ9T66/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AIXKTVUB3E46X&psc=1

For the basking light, would a regular porcelain light fixture work? And I guess by cover, does it need a dome to direct the light?
Thanks again,
.ks.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Those appear suitable, but I have no personal experience with either.
I like the second one better because it's more easily/readily aimable.
However, FWIW, I also noted that neither has any reviews.

To direct the light (and/or heat), you'll need some kind of fixture that can be aimed. Many folks use clamped dome lights similar to this. They have the added advantage of a reflector. They are also available at many/most big-box stores. They can be used for either/both basking floods and/or CHE--just be sure you get one that will handle the wattage of whichever bulb you're putting in it.

kstwrites90

Original Poster
MrSpectrum":2e28b9m5 said:
Those appear suitable, but I have no personal experience with either.
I like the second one better because it's more easily/readily aimable.
However, FWIW, I also noted that neither has any reviews.

To direct the light (and/or heat), you'll need some kind of fixture that can be aimed. Many folks use clamped dome lights similar to this. They have the added advantage of a reflector. They are also available at many/most big-box stores. They can be used for either/both basking floods and/or CHE--just be sure you get one that will handle the wattage of whichever bulb you're putting in it.

Yes, the lack of reviews had me wary too and left me on the fence. The amiable light you have used in your enclosure, what type of bulbs does it take? Sorry for so many questions! Electrical knowledge is not my forte.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kstwrites90":16nntzof said:
can you also use halogen bulbs with regular interior lamp holders like this one?
Yes, but you can't aim them; They shine directly downward. If your basking spot will never change/move, this shouldn't be a problem.

kstwrites90":16nntzof said:
The amiable light you have used in your enclosure, what type of bulbs does it take?
That is a problem. It takes a special size (PAR 30; most floods are PAR 38) incandescent flood, and they're getting very difficult to find. It also has a max. of 75W. I tried halogen equivalents, but they generated so much heat that they burned out in one day. I may need to change that fixture to an aim-able ring fixture that will take higher wattage and PAR 38 floods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom