So confused...... Rep vet says way diff then BD.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Thanks so much, I think they're beautiful, too, but then they're my babies! I should say our, my hubby is retired & he's done his own spoiling. He was very gentle with Angel and helped me with her all the time. It was time & energy well spent. There is a video on Youtube of Angel walking, we caught her for the first time. I'll see if I can find the link, as we didn't know she could run & the camera was close!

If we were richer we would have opened a rescue. It was our dream, but being on the low side of family income, having 4 was enough! But we did find room for Didi, his owner is in Japan teaching English for a year. He's been a joy to look after!

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Oh please find the link, I would love to see it.

I have 2 right now, but will be getting my third in 2 weeks... I've named her Butters already because she's a little butterball :eek:)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Prouddragonmama, I hope you find a competent vet to see to your dragon. How old is Hunter now?
Deb

Jamiedog

Sub-Adult Member
Adama":37hue9hq said:
I believe so, though the amount of those hours depends on the state.

I think the issue is two-fold:
-The classes they take for CE are filled with that same misinformation or taught by other misinformed people.
-It's based on hours total, disregarding what animals those classes are for. For instance, our awful vet does several exotics (birds, beardies, snakes, etc). They may be taking lots of bird CE, while ignoring beardies.

Yeah, the CME requirement for MDs runs along the same lines - they don't seem to really care what you get this continuing education in, as long as you can prove hours. Pretty broken system. :roll:

In theory, and with a vet (or doctor) who wants to continue learning and keeping up-to-date on everything, it's a great system. But clearly, it's not always working.

Is there a need for exotics vets? I'd never considered vet school, but I suppose I could look into that as easily as med school... Going back for advanced biology/chemistry/biochemistry studies in just over a week... The idea was med school or PhD in virology, but working with animals wouldn't be a bad thing! :wink: Does anyone know if a DVM is generally considered a universal degree, or are their vastly different requirements for different countries? Because we might go back to England one day...

...Curious, always curious, to the point of being an annoyance, that's me! :wink:

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thanks everyone he seems to be back to his reg self :blob8: I think he's 5 months ish lol j have had him for 2 mons on the 16th I did ask the vet just too ask and he said there yeas no way to tell he said if he had to he's between 6-12 months :roll: he's 9 1/4 long (has tail nip) and weighed in at 59 g

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's a parasite, I think, that normally lives in their digestive system. Something happens & they explode. Katrina, who just opened Lady Luck Dragons, did get rid of that particular thing with Reptaid. I'll go check her thread & get back to you.
Deb

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
My Phred had Coccidia too. It's fairly common in beardies. They will probably prescribe Albon, which is kind of harsh on their systems, and they sometimes will go off food when on Albon. With Albon, they are on it for about 2 weeks, and it usually takes longer than that to kill it. Albon won't kill the Coccidia, however it will keep it from growing.

A better prescription in called Ponazuril. Ponazuril is given in 2 - 3 doses over a couple of days. It is highly effective, no harsh side effects, and this unlike Albon will KILL the coccidia. My Phred has had a clean bill of health after being on this for only 3 days.. and it's been 2 months since he's had it.

Unfortunately not a lot of vets carry Ponazuril because it is expensive. There is a pharmacy online http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com that will fill the prescription if your vet calls it in. And they only give you what you need... It cost me $35 for it. A whole tube of this is about $275.00. Albo is cheaper, but not as effective.

I hope this helps... see if your vet will call that in for you. Mine did, and I had it within 2 days.

Let me know!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
A member here, Katrina, is just starting her beardie breeding business called Lady Luck Dragons. I remembered that her baby Envy had the same thing, but she used Repta-Aid to fix the problem. She's studying to be a vet tech & is at the vet's office alot, so knows alot as a result. So I've sent a message to her asking where you can get this Repta-Aid. I know it was effective and it's also easy on their systems. I'll check if she says they're killed off. I'll get back to you asap. Maybe the 2nd prescription that was mentioned in the earlier post is also something that you'd want to use, especially if it doesn't harm the beardie's digestive system.
Good luck, I'll get back to you asap,
Deb

boxers

Hatchling Member
Prouddragonmama":2unbonhx said:
Ok so my first opinion of the vet was hes a quack. He has 3 male and 1 female housed together on sand feeding crix and romaine they were all black bearded and bobbing, office staff says they have never seen without black beard. The smallest looked all tore up! Then the office visit,,,,, he has never herd of reptiworms had no idea what super worms were had herd of horn worms but said they were not ok. Said I need to leave his food source to what he'd find in nature! Says crix are the best and should be all I feed except dark lettuces! Said there was no need for ms to give collard turnip mustard greens! Then said I'm silly for not using sand, didn't understand the slate tile idea! Said the rep cal calci is crap and leads to mbd and the herptivite I should give at every feed and calci only 1-2 a week!!!! And here's the kicker.... He said I don't need a uvb said tbe tube type are not as good as coil!!!!!! Wow confusion overload!!! I know everyone has their own opinion and I'm sure when he first started his practice that was all norm! Butt gee :idea: times change!! Get with it doc

:shock: You should get a refund and run away with your beardie clutched safely to your bosom.
What a joke to have this man try to give you "information" when you know better.
Coils are better than tubes, scoff!

Prouddragonmama

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ha ha yes he was very un informative and to think I waited a month and was excited that I had a well known "reptile expert" in the next city!! oh well that will be his last visit with dr kookoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom