Snow x Leucistic????

Status
Not open for further replies.

xavice

Ok so I ordered my beardie from LLLreptile.com it was published as a baby Snow x Leucistic, when I got it it didn't resemble anything like the picture. They sold out of them and now are selling more with the same pic I saw. Now I know beardies change colors alot as they mature, but I just want to make sure mine is a Snow x Leucistic and I wasn't lied to. Mine looks more like a normal, What are Snow x Leucistic supposed to looking like?

Here is the linke to the site .....
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/animals/bearded-dragons/-/baby-snow-x-leucistic-bearded-dragons/

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Can you post a pic of you baby?

Not all babies will show their true colours for a while. My girl gets brighter with every shed.
Not every baby from a clutch will be highly coloured either.

Holly

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Ha! I bought one from them too, back in January. That little thing has almost been the death of me. You are right it looks like a normal, nothing like the picture. How big is yours? Mine was so small it got lost in the egg crate we put in the tank! Also, she/he decided not to eat. Turned it's nose up at crickets, pheonix worms, and (even though we aren't supposed to) mealworms. I finally gave in and started feeding baby food. It stayed at 5 g forever. We decided we cannot do that forever and stopped. It now will eat 2 crickets a day, up from one last week. Now it weighs in at 6 g. It has grown in length, but is way way tiny. I am quite unimpressed with it and wont buy again from lllreptile. I was buying crickets from them until ever batch I was getting was infested with flies (after the 2nd I was done). While I have heard great things about them, and their reptile sales, I was very unimpressed. I hope you got a better deal then me and yours grows up to be healthy, at this point I doubt mine will live much longer! And I doubt it will ever be any shade of white.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
One of ours looked like a normal but ended up being bright orange with a purple gray sidebars. He gets brighter and brighter every shead.

Can you post a picture of your baby?

lacy_black

Gray-bearded Member
rottnbull02":d9691 said:
While I have heard great things about them, and their reptile sales, I was very unimpressed.

How odd because i've heard nothing but bad reports about their animals being sickly or infested. I was going to buy a mexican black king snake from them and at least 3 people from this site pm'd me saying not to because i'd most likely get a sick animal :?

rottnbull02

Hatchling Member
Man I wish I had heard that before I purchased. Everyone I talked to said good things. I had such a weird feeling too right after I purchased. I just shrugged it off as buyers remorse. I guess I learned my lesson. While they say they breed their own animals they are still a pet store. I know some are "great", but I will never purchase from anything other then a reputable breeder from now on.

redflea13

Snow's some times look normal when they ar hatched. A snow x leucistic will just be het for the hypo gene so if you breed it to another dragon with the hypo gene then you will see the gene in the babies. They will have clear nails and be conciderably lighter then other babies. When I breed hets to hypos half of the babies are hypo and you can see the difference easily next to their non hypo siblings.

xavice

Original Poster
Sorry about not posting a picture guys, yeseterday I went straight from work to vet with him, he either has a URI or Coccidia. I'm giving him the treatment for Coccidia since he's not perching his head back much anymore, going to wait to see if I will still have to treat for URI (vet visit wasn't cheap). He also got tested for viral diseases. Last night was the first night since he's slept with his head down. Yeah i got mine towards the middle of Feb, so rottnbull02 ours might be from the same clutch. And yes I was very surprised at how small he was, and he doesn't seem to like crix very much as he only eats 2 or 3 and stops chasing them. I switched him to Phoenix worms though and he loves them.
Hope your beardie starts to improve. I will be posting pics of him when i get home later today. I was thinking of breeding him with a female red, how would those babies come out?

And thank you everyone for your feedback.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
The main difference are that "Snows" have a lot more yellow and blue highlights throughout their base color, while most good Leucistic lines are solid white with very little of any other color. Also a Snow dragon by definition is not a Hypomelanistic dragon, so they have dark nails unless otherwise noted. While all Leucistics are clear nailed, and are basically a "white hypo".

Here are some good examples I borrowed from my good friend Jeff over a http://www.jdmdragons.com The other photo is from Kevin over a dragons den...

Jeff's Leucistic male "Apollo"
Apollo.jpg

Jeff's Leucistic female "Lucy" (On Left)
Lucy.jpg

Kevin's example of a dark nailed Snow
dragonsnow.jpg

I hope this helps, and chances are they just sent you a "regular" dragon as they buy all of their wholesale dragons from random sources and they know the average "newbie" or "novice" won't know the difference, and it's impossible to prove in terms of law that you were screwed. Hence why I only deal with certain breeders I can trust, and the extra money I pay is well worth it as I get exactly what I see in the pictures!

Anthony

xavice

Original Poster
Heh when i took him to the vet he said it's way too young to tell what he truely is as Boris is only 5.5" from nose to tail.
What breeders do you guys recommend so that way I can find Boris a good mate.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
xavice":30d2f said:
Heh when i took him to the vet he said it's way too young to tell what he truely is as Boris is only 5.5" from nose to tail.
What breeders do you guys recommend so that way I can find Boris a good mate.

For Leucistics, definitely Jeff who owes the two dragons in my previous post:

Otherwise checkout my "links" page of my website for a list of preferred breeder that come highly recommended by me.
http://www.annapolisbeardeddragon.com/links

Anthony

xavice

Original Poster
Great set of links some of those I never heard of, i've been trying to contact the breeder of caliente dragons, do you know a good way to do so? And what do you think of beardeddragons.biz?

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
xavice":b0b7f said:
Great set of links some of those I never heard of, i've been trying to contact the breeder of caliente dragons, do you know a good way to do so? And what do you think of beardeddragons.biz?

I personally don't recommend bd.biz because of some of their care practices, but they do offer some older bloodlines. They mostly wholesale now days...

As for Heidi at http://www.calientedragons.com you can reach her here: [email protected]

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom