Smaller Tank for a Beardie?

SashaSaysThings

Hello all! I am very new to the bearded dragon community and am looking to get my first beardie this year. I've been doing all the research to make sure that my future beardie gets the proper care and maintenence it needs and I've seen that most all bearded dragon owners and experts say that a 75 gallon tank has been set as a minimum for an adult beardie, although they technically can survive in a smaller tank. I have a small room where I'm currently living and I've found a 67 gallon tank that would fit just fine, but I'm worried of stressing out my animal or possibly causing some health issues for it. WOuld a 67 gallon work for an adult or should I try and squeeze something bigger? Could I possibly offset the smaller size of the tank by having more out of cage time with my beardie?

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
ideally a good size tank for an adult would be 120g, i believe a 67 gallon or 75 gallon would be fine 75 gallon more preferred than the 67, you can always upgrade to a 120g when you can :)

Bonzo

Beardie name(s)
Indy
If made of glass, a 40 gal. (or larger) is a fairly typical recommendation for a baby, or juvenile. The plan here is to store a 4x2x2 such as a Zen brand at a friend's big closet, and transfer before age 12 months from the current 40 gal. 'home.'

A small baby, or BD that is a few months old is often started in a 20 gal. tank. That can be adequate for a fairly short time. My baby at 8-9 inches barely uses the cooler end of the enclosure during this age. It's a bit surprising to see 10 gal. in use at the stores, and I would never recommend a 10 except as an enclosure for a ride to the vet, or a place to chill during some cage cleaning activities. My 'ride in the car' enclosure is actually a soft, luxury cat carrier with zipper fastener on the top portion.

Last edited:

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
Hello all! I am very new to the bearded dragon community and am looking to get my first beardie this year. I've been doing all the research to make sure that my future beardie gets the proper care and maintenence it needs and I've seen that most all bearded dragon owners and experts say that a 75 gallon tank has been set as a minimum for an adult beardie, although they technically can survive in a smaller tank. I have a small room where I'm currently living and I've found a 67 gallon tank that would fit just fine, but I'm worried of stressing out my animal or possibly causing some health issues for it. WOuld a 67 gallon work for an adult or should I try and squeeze something bigger? Could I possibly offset the smaller size of the tank by having more out of cage time with my beardie?
if I were you I would definitely try and aim for at least a 75 but a 67 would probably be fine until you are able to upgrade. im not sure about the offsetting it with more free roaming. I personally use the dubia.com 4x2x2 enclosure. are you looking to get and adult or a baby?

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LittleSofa
Top Bottom