Small teardrop shaped parasites moving in a fecal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew my bearded dragon had pin worms and I’ve been checking his crap with a microscope pretty much every other poop now and dosing him with 10% generic panacur. Today when I checked after two doses wooo! No pinworms but as I was looking closer I saw something moving.

I counted about four or five of these decently large tear drop shaped parasites. They were just swimming around hanging out. It seemed like they were clear and slightly greenish with a few loose large orbs inside their head (what part they were moving forwards with) and a few loose tiny orbs in their bodies of what I’m assuming is food or fecal matter. This was at 100x and at 400x they took up the entire view.

I can find anything online about bearded dragon poop and moving parasites except for worms visible to the naked eye. He’s my second bearded dragon, my first one died years ago when I was just a kid due to his previous owners feeding him bugs from outside and he got a parasite load and passed away. So I know I’m being paranoid but I want to make sure I’m providing the best care for my lizard.

Also vets around me at absolute chaos rn. I called asking for a fecal and it was a three week wait time and they won’t provide medication without doing a fecal first. I have a microscope and I know how to dose medication so I was able to sort out the pin worms but I’m worried about the weird teardrop things.

How old is your dragon? 1-2 years
How long have you had your dragon? 3-4 months
How long is your dragon? 14 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? 3x4x2 180 gallons ish
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Plastic
Do you use UVB lights? Yes
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Tube
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)? I’m not sure at the moment one of the big reptile brands like zoomed it’s a 10.0 MVB
How old is your UVB bulb? 2 months
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? 10 inches probably less
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? A 75watt bulb white
What are the basking temps? 105-110
What is the cool side temp? 75-80
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? In the basking area
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? Nope
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Collared greens, tons of bell peppers, rarely carrots and safe fruits, crickets by Im gonna make the switch to BSFL cause I’ve noticed he has trouble digesting the crickets.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Once a day sometimes twice in the afternoon
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes with greens
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? Calcium powder with D 3zoomed
How many days a week do you use each of them? 3 times a week
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes every 2-3 days but they are very watery slightly better since using the panacur
Do you bath your dragon? How often? Not very often whenever he poops and gets it all over himself so once every two weeks
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes I miss his greens
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No I’ve done it myself cause they vet couldn’t see me
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? Nope!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your set up sounds good --- the most important thing in the tank is basking temps and UVB -- first I would recommend getting a digital probe thermometer 2 of them one for each side of the tank and next where is the placement of the UVB? Distance and placement is crucial depending on the bulb your using--- T 5 or a T 8-- as far as the weird tear drop thing you saw I would ask Tracie Drache613 our vet tech mod on here about that - you can PM her find her name on the board and click on it her profile will come up --

RamenNoodles

Original Poster
Thank you I’ll look into getting those thermometers I’ve had bad experiences with wrong temps with them so that’s why I’ve been using the heat gun. Im confident in my lighting basking bulb and UVB. I PMed Drache and I’m just waiting for a response.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup does sound nice. Definitely look into a better thermometer to be sure your
temperatures are optimal.
That is an odd description of the fecal exam. Had you ever seen that before? What type
of exam did you do, a fecal smear or a fecal float?
How is your dragon doing today?
It is a possibility that it could be a protozoan or amoeba. Do you use filtered water or
regular tap water?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom