Small pet stores. Why you always look so dirty?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
I stopped by a small shop that sold fish, reptiles and birds.

I found it... disappointing.

there weren't many birds, the fish area was so dark, and the reptile area was just dirty. they had beardies on a loose substrate, and they were pricey!

i went in for supers so i can mix up the gene pool of my beetles. i asked if they carried other feeders, like hornworms. i was super excited when they said yes. then super disappointed when they handed me the container with maybe 10 worms, some dead. then said it was $22!

i was like "i'm pretty sure i can get them cheaper somewhere else." which after checking, found that to be true. even with shipping.

the more stores i go to the more i want to open my own. but focused more on the supplies and feeders. also, selling my harnesses :D

Joyce

I guess I am fortunate in my area, both Tatnuck Pet and Pet Source are small and were fine, clean and well lit. My only issue is the lack of selection but hey - same problem at large chains, Wallie World and supermarkets. Unless you are owned by a dog or cat it is extremly difficult to find supplies. I have had pets most of my life, including dogs and cats but also gerbils, fish, turtles and rats.
Generally I don't mind spending a little more for an item I was shown how to use, can handle it, can return it when necessary, can ask questions, can request an item be ordered for purchase or to purchase something from to then be donated to my local shelter. Don't get me wrong the mail carrier and I are on freindly terms with his frequent package deklivieres from Amazon and Ebay, and craiglist list is another favorite.
I would LOVE to be able to find food and accessories within a reasonable drive to Worcester MA for my guys.

Good Luck!

jacody

Sub-Adult Member
Joyce- i'm also in New England- southern NH and there aren't a lot of choices around here unless you like to shop at the big chain stores.. there is a store in Milford (near Nashua) that is excellent, especially since the owner gives me wicked deals on crickets and only focuses on fish, reptiles and birds.. very nice to deal w/ the small independents and they actually remember you week-to-week and by name..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom