Slightly open mouth, not gaping (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just "saved" this little sweetie from a family who was not prepared to care for her properly. My boyfriend has had his beardy for years and has been helping me, but we're a little stumped.

She sits with her mouth open ever so slightly all the time. No breathing issues or sounds. She eats pretty well and has healthy poops once a day since we've had her (only 5 days). She seemed very thirsty when we gave her a bath, and ever since, her fat pads are nicely raised. She drank a bit from a tiny cup we used to drip to her lips when we realized how thirsty she was and she drank!

Twice she has had what looks like a mild seizure where she just shakes a little for like 2 seconds. (Very scary for a first timer like me.)

Diet is daily collard greens, some dandelion greens; and a little green beans 2 of the 5 days. Also 6-8 mealworms as that was all that's sold by me and am waiting for my delivery.

Tank temperature measures 100-105 in basking area, 80 or so on cool end. I've tried no lights at night, or 'night heat' light alternating to see if it helps (just learned about ceramic heat in the forum a couple hours ago! So that's next on the shopping list).

Eyes are not sunken at all, she is calm but I wouldn't say lethargic. she lets me handle her a little before stressing out, but has not once puffed her beard. And stress marks go away within a few hours (I have since lessened the time I have her out to prevent it from happening at all)

I'm calling the vet to make an appt tomorrow but thought maybe someone here has run into these things before. Thank you in advance!

VJkuQhA5SH20sMVQ6fM7yg.8rmb8phMSr1zP9AN8ayEAG

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Also, the uvb is from PetSmart and is an 18" bulb. Tank is 36" x 18" x 18" with the uvb sitting, along with the heat, over the corded ramp. She loves to bask, true/actual gaping sometimes, then she comes down the ramp a bit.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

Jessi shared 1 photo with you

(Trying image again)
What brand of UVB do you have a Zilla Thrive or Reptisun--- the T 8 should be inside the tank directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches --- there is a difference in the brand of the bulb --- and the Thrive fixtures have known to come w/ NO reflectors --- the partial open mouth is normal - mine do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom