Sleepy & Sluggish Beardie. Whats Wrong???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki1292

My beardie Gizmo use to be very active but now he's seemed to slow down. I've had to put his tank decor on the corners of his repti-carpet because he would wiggle under it and stay there until I got him out to eat, then he stays out for a few hours. He eats just fine so I'm not 100% worried yet. Could it be the time of year? Since it's winter, could he be trying to, I don't know, hibernate or something? Is he dehydrated? I'm just concerned is all.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How old is Gizmo? How much does he weigh, does he have good fat pads?
He could be brumating perhaps, but let's go over your tank setup first, ok?
What is your lighting consist of? Are you using UVB lighting, & if so what type & brand? A florescent tube light or a compact/coil light?
How often do you use calcium supplementation?

Tracie

Nikki1292

Original Poster
Gizmo's about 10 months old, maybe 11.
Not sure how much he weighs.
Yes, he has good fat pads.
I am using a UVB light and its a powersun. I know that there have been some reports that it makes them sluggish and such but I only have it on for four hours a day the vet said he is perfectly healthy last time I took him (three weeks ago) and I have been using the light that way since I bought him. I don't think thats the problem but hey, never know.
And he gets one calcium supplement in the form of powder on his salad every other day and a multivitamin powder one every ten days.

Everything here has been done for over 8 months so I don't think it has anything to do with the above but if you think there may be a problem please let me know.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
So you have been using the bulb for 8months? And only 4 hours a day? What have you been using the rest of the time?

They should idealy have 10-12 hours of UVB/Heat a day, so perhaps the 4 hours hasnt been giving him enough.

What are the temperatures in the cage, and what are you measuiring them with (digital with probe, temp gun or dial type one?)

B

Nikki1292

Original Poster
He has a basking bulb on all day that keeps the hot side 95 and directly under the light 100-105.
The cool side is 80.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
But he is only getting UBV from the megra ray for 4 hours, ive not heard of that, the people i have spoken to suggest treating it like a normal UVB source, so 12 hours a day. Lack of UVB could cause sluggishness. Try turning it on for the full day for a week and see if he perks up.

B

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
First thing I would do is get a fecal done... I tend to do fecals on mine every 6 months regardless, and if I see changes in behaviors like Gizmo is showing.
If that is clear, then see if changing food sources might help.
If nothing works, just allow him to go on down for brumation...

I would also like to address the UVB issue... I honestly feel no less than 8 hours daily is minimum... Remember we are attempting to replicate "natural" photo periods found outside in their natural habitats. Now I am fully aware we can never totally replicate those conditions, but we try to come as close as possible for the best health of our pets.

Also, the dosing of the calcium and vits are a bit on the low side..
Depending on which products you use, minimum is 3-4 times weekly for calcium, 1 time weekly for vitamins..

Hope this helps out.
Janie

Nikki1292

Original Poster
I'm gonna star leaving the uvb light on for about 9 hours, see if that helps. Its just that some tell me not to leave it on for more than 3-5 hours (aka my boyfriend). He seems to either have very good info about beardies or very bad. Never in between so I'm never sure whether to listen to him half the time as he has a tendency to think hes a zoologist or something lol. I will also make him another vet appointment, see what they think.

Thanks for the impute :) Once I get a vet appointment for him, I will let you all know how it goes.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
The best thing to do is contact the manufacturure of the bulb, and ask whats recommended!

Nikki1292

Original Poster
Did what was suggested and called the manufacture and wish I hadn't. Good God the woman who picked up was so snappy and rude I wanted to hit her. I tried explaining that I wasn't complaining about the darn thing and she hung up on me! She hung up! :banghead:

Ok, little rant over. Anyways.....bought Gizmo a new hide so he would stop wiggling under the repti-carpet. Seems to like it.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I did some reading on the power sun, and i would suggest the 12 hour days that we all do. They need a UVB source constantly throughout the day in order to digest/ keep the immue system up and running, and generally have a healthy baby!

Sorry the lady was rude, was it the zoomed people you spoke to? I would ring back and complain about her, its not right she can hang up like that!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom