Sleepy Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
Its been awhile since I have been active here due to my sleepy dragon still wanting to sleep :shock: I cannot believe he's been acting like this since October. He hates baths so I just give him some water on his nose, he just licks and then he scratches his hide to sleep. Ugh, this is so sad. I miss seeing him. Shouldn't he snap out of it already?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I know how you feel, Saturn currently has been burmating since september, so thats around 4-5 months. The day before he actually came out and ate a bit and basked before going back in his hide. Today I let him sleep till around 2 pm and then woke him up and sat him on his new hammock to bask. Currently hes still grumpy but hasn't went back in his hide to sleep yet.
He doesnt seem to be a big fan of his hammock yet either unlike Venus but its probably because hes unsure how to get on it once off of it and is just too lazy to try currently.

Im sure your guy will eventually snap out of it, im pretty sure im going to continue waking saturn up everyday at 2 pm or so until he doesn't try to sleep anymore.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Awwwe. Hopefully, both of our dragons wake up and continue to be active again.

I did, however, try to do a couple of experiments. I added a U.T.H. thinking maybe it was a heat issue. In my 4ft x 2ft x 2ft wooden enclosure cannot add this heat mat to it so figured to try with the glass one. I already had put one on there for my leopard gecko but I got her a new tank so I figured why not try to experiment.

It was nice and sunny out so I took my beardie outside, he loved it.
92311-9258761913.jpg

Back in the glass enclosure:
92311-2424424724.jpg

I also tried the different UVBs.
Both had the same effect.

How he was the other day:
92311-8333644871.jpg

The interesting thing here though, he is very active if he is outside of his terrarium. Could be in the living room, looking out the window, outside in the sun... but as soon as he goes back into his terrarium, he wants to sleep.

I have been weighing him and he's been staying at the same weight.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3ipemjs7 said:
Cute little sleepy guy for sure =)

Thanks Cooper ?
He’s still in this half awake half asleep stage. I also weighed him as I was offering water for him. He weighs 338g. It seems like he is losing more. Normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah probably still OK. Just keep an eye on it. Darwin lost about 4-5% body weight during brumation and had no issues.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
Sounds like signs of brumation, or just generally being more lethargic with the winter weather.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey guys,
He is still sleepy. I took him out for a bath and to give him some water so he doesn't get dehydrated. I offered him some blueberries which he did eat but then he went to go hide and scratch on his tile. He has not gone to the bathroom either. About a week ago I offered him some mealies as he does not like crickets that much and he is tired of roaches since that is his staple. I am wondering if I should be concerned? I see everyone else's beardie awake, basking and active while mine is still trying to hide and sleep. I am hoping he will snap out of this soon.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he is still sleepy. How is his weight holding up? Hopefully he will be done soon but if he needs more sleep and is otherwise OK I'd let him.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I checked his weight been staying around the same. A few grams off but not drastically. I offer him some food every day in case he's hungry. Occasionally he will eat a few worms but that's about it then goes and hides.

How he was the other day. Sometimes he has his eyes open and other times closed.
92311-3150162441.jpg
92311-1259589829.jpg

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Cooper. He has been off and on, half awake and asleep.
Here how he is today... not very awake. I sure do miss seeing him out and basking.

92311-9555589421.jpg
92311-6674899561.jpg

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Quick update: He did eat a dubia, I just placed it near him and he ate it, also he is eating some mealworms too. Figured to try different feeders to see if he will eat anything. I offered some veggies but doesn't seem real interested. He seems to have a little dark beard, I don't know if he is just going through hormones or what? Hopefully, he's okay since he's been acting this way for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom