Sleeping?

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
So my beardie has been out basking for 2 hours then she goes back into her hide and sleeps for tge rest of the night, tgis has been happening for 2 days. she never does this is it normal? shes having fine bowel movements, her lights and temps havent changed, except... her basking light went out a couple days ago and so I went and grabbed her another one but it feels way hotter than the other one but same watts, she doesnt go directly under the heat just near it, its around high 110s is that tooo hot and thats why shes being like this??

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
So my beardie has been out basking for 2 hours then she goes back into her hide and sleeps for tge rest of the night, tgis has been happening for 2 days. she never does this is it normal? shes having fine bowel movements, her lights and temps havent changed, except... her basking light went out a couple days ago and so I went and grabbed her another one but it feels way hotter than the other one but same watts, she doesnt go directly under the heat just near it, its around high 110s is that tooo hot and thats why shes being like this??
how old is she? for babies they like 105-110 and adults like typically 95-100 though all of them are a little different. anything over 115 is too hot

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
how old is she? for babies they like 105-110 and adults like typically 95-100 though all of them are a little different. anything over 115 is too hot
i figured it was tooo hot but she sits on the side so idk if that made a difference ill attach a pic, and shes around 8 months, she lays on the longgg rock.

Attachments

• 16791788159538412112968984203657.jpg
    16791788159538412112968984203657.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 51

Hobama

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Reginald/Reggie
i figured it was tooo hot but she sits on the side so idk if that made a difference ill attach a pic, and shes around 8 months, she lays on the longgg rock.
if her basking temps are getting over 115 you need to make them cooler. it doesnt look like you can really lower her basking spot but will it be possible to raise the lamp? or lower the basking spot if it actually is possible? what are her temps throughout the cage and what are you taking them with?

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
if her basking temps are getting over 115 you need to make them cooler. it doesnt look like you can really lower her basking spot but will it be possible to raise the lamp? or lower the basking spot if it actually is possible? what are her temps throughout the cage and what are you taking them with?
a digital probe thermometer, its about 75 on cool side and like almost 120 on her hot side, i could probably find a way to higher the dome with wood, would that work??

shmoomunchkin

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Scooby
A lamp stand that you can raise/lower as needed:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230316_191211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230316_191211_Samsung Internet.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 48

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please lower the surface basking temp to 95-100-- you can take out a piece of the rock you have for basking decor - see if that will lower the surface temp-- it sounds like the basking bulb was weak from length of time you had it -- it blowing out was normal -- so as basking bulbs age they get weaker in time that its why its good to check those surface basking temps at least once a month

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
Please lower the surface basking temp to 95-100-- you can take out a piece of the rock you have for basking decor - see if that will lower the surface temp-- it sounds like the basking bulb was weak from length of time you had it -- it blowing out was normal -- so as basking bulbs age they get weaker in time that its why its good to check those surface basking temps at least once a month
that makes a lot of sense, ill remover her top rock, then shell be about 12 inches or a lil more away from the basking bulb and uvb, is that okay?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
that makes a lot of sense, ill remover her top rock, then shell be about 12 inches or a lil more away from the basking bulb and uvb, is that okay?
where is the UVB? top of screen? I cant see it in the pic--- for the basking bulb the 12" is fine for the UVB its fine as long as its INSIDE the tank - your screen determines placement - is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ?

Mollie the dragon

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mollie
where is the UVB? top of screen? I cant see it in the pic--- for the basking bulb the 12" is fine for the UVB its fine as long as its INSIDE the tank - your screen determines placement - is the screen a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type ?
The UVB is on top on the tank, heres a pic of the mesh, its pretty small

Attachments

• 16791947043637075515930178190298.jpg
    16791947043637075515930178190298.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 57

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
The easiest thing to do would be to install a lower wattage bulb. 120 is WAY to hot

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom