Sleeping a lot

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hi, so toothless has been very sleepy lately, and not very active. I mean When I take him out of his cage for attention he’s active and runs around. But when he’s in his cage all he wants to do is sleep. I haven’t changed anything with his diet or anything other then adding some vitamins. But he’s eating less and sleeping all day. Not much less he eats maybe 20-30 roaches a day maybe two days out of the week I can only get him to eat about 10, but about two weeks ago he was eating 40+. I realize eating less just might be him getting older and not needing as much protein, but I’m wondering why his so sleepy, could he just be adjusting to not having as much protein?
Edit: could he be getting to much uvb now that I’ve moved it in his tank, and since he was to young to brumate I never lessened his uvb and light cycle, I’m not sure if that’s a thing, but just to be safe?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi, so toothless has been very sleepy lately, and not very active. I mean When I take him out of his cage for attention he’s active and runs around. But when he’s in his cage all he wants to do is sleep. I haven’t changed anything with his diet or anything other then adding some vitamins. But he’s eating less and sleeping all day. Not much less he eats maybe 20-30 roaches a day maybe two days out of the week I can only get him to eat about 10, but about two weeks ago he was eating 40+. I realize eating less just might be him getting older and not needing as much protein, but I’m wondering why his so sleepy, could he just be adjusting to not having as much protein?
Edit: could he be getting to much uvb now that I’ve moved it in his tank, and since he was to young to brumate I never lessened his uvb and light cycle, I’m not sure if that’s a thing, but just to be safe?
Hes fine --- they tend to start to slow down as they do get older --- hes eating and active out of his tank - you dont want him eating that many roaches 40 is a lot --what size roaches is he eating? they should be no bigger than the space between the eyes but not so small hes eating a ton of them - you dont want him w/ gout - so I would add another staple feeder like BSFL or silk worms or both to slow him down on the roach consumption - more salads are good too

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Hes fine --- they tend to start to slow down as they do get older --- hes eating and active out of his tank - you dont want him eating that many roaches 40 is a lot --what size roaches is he eating? they should be no bigger than the space between the eyes but not so small hes eating a ton of them - you dont want him w/ gout - so I would add another staple feeder like BSFL or silk worms or both to slow him down on the roach consumption - more salads are good too
See I’m confused on feeding cuz some people say not to feed him that much and other say let him eat that much since his still growing, I’m just worried about his size he seems very small to me and skinny, even though he was eating that much and getting daily salads, I did get him horn worms recently, and I’ll try silk worms but for some reason when I feed him BSFL he doesn’t digest them very well, and right now he’s eating 3/4 inch dubias which are a little small for him im now getting him one inch, here is a pic of him, I believe he’s 10-12 months old and he’s 18 inches long

Attachments

• D97851B7-CA84-4309-98DA-06FAF643ED0D.jpeg
    D97851B7-CA84-4309-98DA-06FAF643ED0D.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 65

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
See I’m confused on feeding cuz some people say not to feed him that much and other say let him eat that much since his still growing, I’m just worried about his size he seems very small to me and skinny, even though he was eating that much and getting daily salads, I did get him horn worms recently, and I’ll try silk worms but for some reason when I feed him BSFL he doesn’t digest them very well, and right now he’s eating 3/4 inch dubias which are a little small for him im now getting him one inch, here is a pic of him, I believe he’s 10-12 months old and he’s 18 inches long
He looks good - the BSFL should be fed a few at a time - hes probably gobbling them down to fast causing him to swallow them whole which would cause them to come out undigested - we see alot of that - make sure your surface basking temps are up to par as well another cause but usually its all the insects so I am thinking its hes eating them too fast - if hes eating salads good offer more of them - around 12 months of age he should go down to insects 2-3 times per week -

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
He looks pretty good 👍. He is handsome to 🙂

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He looks pretty good 👍. He is handsome to 🙂
Thank you so much he’s a “fancy” (not sure if that’s an actual morph or just petsmart)🥹 all of my friends just focus on how “huge” he is, no one every compliments my little baby.

Hailey1110

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
He looks good - the BSFL should be fed a few at a time - hes probably gobbling them down to fast causing him to swallow them whole which would cause them to come out undigested - we see alot of that - make sure your surface basking temps are up to par as well another cause but usually its all the insects so I am thinking its hes eating them too fast - if hes eating salads good offer more of them - around 12 months of age he should go down to insects 2-3 times per week -
Yeah he definitely inhales the BSFL when I feed them. I try to slow him down but he’s stubborn. When I go down to the couple days a week, how many should he get then?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yeah he definitely inhales the BSFL when I feed them. I try to slow him down but he’s stubborn. When I go down to the couple days a week, how many should he get then?
Only feed like 20 at a time-- that will slow him down on them - if your feeding as a main staple its going to take quite a few 50 at least-- if its supplementing another staple feed as many as you want -

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom