Slate rocks and sanitizing?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Hey guys found these slate rocks stored away in my closet would I be able to break them and put them under the basking light? I'm just trying to get something I can put under the basking light to hold heat (acrylic decor).

Also if I can use them then how would I go about sanitizing them?

(Just noticed that they have paint on them so that may be a deal breaker)

Attachments

• IMG_20230106_113348.jpg
    IMG_20230106_113348.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20230106_113341.jpg
    IMG_20230106_113341.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20230106_113332.jpg
    IMG_20230106_113332.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You can put them in the oven for 20 minutes or so at 200-220 degrees. Or you can put them in the sink and soak them in 200ish degree water till it cools. The water may cause it to seperate though being slate. If you go the oven route, place it in the oven while cool and let it warm up with the oven, it's less likely to break apart that way. Let it cool slowly also.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Oh one more thing, don't get it wet and then put it in the oven, that will almost certainly make it come apart. Slate it pretty soft and kindda fragile.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh one more thing, don't get it wet and then put it in the oven, that will almost certainly make it come apart. Slate it pretty soft and kindda fragile.
Would having paint on it matter? I'm unsure how to get it off I think I may try to put some bricks and build a platform and ditch the acrylic.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
It sounds like the slate has been stored for some time, the paint should be completely cured, as long as it isn't giving off fumes it should be ok.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
It sounds like the slate has been stored for some time, the paint should be completely cured, as long as it isn't giving off fumes it should be ok.
The slabs have to be 5-6 yrs old I think originally it was my brother's unsure what it was used for though. And yes no fumes nothing like that I could even try to scrape it off but I'm not sure if it'll crack the slab

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Might try lightly sanding with sandpaper if your concerned with it. Just be sure to rinse the dust all away.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom