Skiddish baby beardie

WebDeznr

I got Jake about 1 month ago he is about 4 months (I think) when I first brought him home he was friendly. Stepped up on my hand when I put my hand in the tank.
would sit on my chest while I was watching tv. But for the past week he is very skiddish when I put my hand in the tank or open the door he puffs up and holds his mouth open in attack mode, then takes off running all over the tank. If I happen to catch him, he is fine again, eats from my hand lets me pet him. But if I put him back home after he calms down it starts all over again. His tank about 6 feet long so its not a small tank, 2 heating lights 2 basking lights and 2 UV lights at the other side of the tank. (image included) I don't know what to do, if I don't tame him now I won't be able to when he is bigger and tries to bite. Please help. He eats meal worms, kale, carrots, butternut squash, pumpkin etc.... lets me put him in water (bath)... I just don't know what changed. Please help...

Attachments

• 20220826_190837.jpg
    20220826_190837.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 107
  • 20220822_151856.jpg
    20220822_151856.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220914_131837.jpg
    20220914_131837.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 90

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
My new beardie is also 4 months old, and varies in his attitude quite a bit. He is very friendly, then turns mean. He once bit me while I was replacing his veggies dish. He ran at a full tilt speed across the cage and bit me right on the hand (he definitely meant too)! Anyway, he still varies, sometimes he is super sweet and I think we have rounded a corner, and then the next...angry dragon. He is so angry these days he black beards at me (little stinker), but there are times he is just fine. I think that males are more angry than the females in general. Showing how tough they are. Just keep doing what you are doing. It will pay off, and I am sure you will have a lovely dragon.

If he does bite, don't back off, you want to let the dragon know that his bite is not going to stop you from what you are doing. Bites at this age do not hurt, they are just more surprising. At the same time, most of the dragons posture is bluff.

WebDeznr

Original Poster
My new beardie is also 4 months old, and varies in his attitude quite a bit. He is very friendly, then turns mean. He once bit me while I was replacing his veggies dish. He ran at a full tilt speed across the cage and bit me right on the hand (he definitely meant too)! Anyway, he still varies, sometimes he is super sweet and I think we have rounded a corner, and then the next...angry dragon. He is so angry these days he black beards at me (little stinker), but there are times he is just fine. I think that males are more angry than the females in general. Showing how tough they are. Just keep doing what you are doing. It will pay off, and I am sure you will have a lovely dragon.

If he does bite, don't back off, you want to let the dragon know that his bite is not going to stop you from what you are doing. Bites at this age do not hurt, they are just more surprising. At the same time, most of the dragons posture is bluff.
thank you for your reply, Jake hasn't bitten yet, in fact when he puffs up I still pick him up so he knows I am boss. I have scheduled a visit to the vet just to make sure he is in good health. I never know if I have enough light or not enough light... it is definitely warm in the tank. then the diet is the next thing, since I am not a fan of crickets so I give him Meal worms... he eats from me when I hold him but in the tank he runs over grabs the food and runs away. LOL My previous beardie died last month (from age) he was 12 years old, I had him from the same age as this one but I don't recall him giving me this much trouble. I hope Jake calms down so I have another 12 + years...

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Just give him time, something you can do is, if he is gaping at you shove a piece of greens in his mouth. He will eventually realize that being a butt head only gets greens stuffed in his mouth. Plus it might help him learn greens are food.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Just give him time, something you can do is, if he is gaping at you shove a piece of greens in his mouth. He will eventually realize that being a butt head only gets greens stuffed in his mouth. Plus it might help him learn greens are food.
Ha, Ha Ha...I do this all the time with Balzor!

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I love the indignation on their face, like i can't believe you just did that lol

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
Baby beardies are constantly in a state of "Everything is going to eat me" mode. Just wait them up for a good minute. They will come around. Don't be afraid of being bitten either. It's not fun, but it doesn't hurt. Also, if they keep biting you and you don't react they do the cutest little like "...oh, oh okay then." Look. It's great. The best advise I can give is to keep holding. Eventually they will get out of the everything is going to eat me mode and stop being little buttheads.

WebDeznr

Original Poster
Thank you for all the advice. I'm trying to hold out. Although I renamed him to monster. It's more fitting.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom