Size of Beardy & how many Superworms it eats on 1feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Hey there. I was just curious with how many Superworms your beardy will eat in 1feeding/sitting & how big your beardy is?

My Boy who is now 15 1/2inches has been eating Superworms as a staple sense he was 12inches. Which I know isnt quite safe because 16inches is where people say for your dragon to be to eat them because the intestines str8en out. But I never had a problem with it because when he takes them from my hand he bends them in half everytime so he doesnt swallow them str8 on. I try to give him btwn 10-15 which he will eat within 2minutes. & I feel bad because if he eats that many that quick I prob should give him more but for some reason I feel like giving like30 of them which is what I think he can eat in 10minutes that it will cause him issues.

Gail

BD.org Addict
10-15 at once is plenty, if he is still hungry then he can eat his greens. Some dragons just go crazy for supers and will over eat quite badly if allowed.

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright. Yea he gets like I said 10-15 for his afternoon feeding. Then at night he would get another 10. But Im trying to change him to eat 1live feeding a day and then just keep greens in his tank.

I run errands alot when I wake up btwn 9am-11am. And his and Knights (my 2 1/2month old) first feeding is not till 3pm. And sometimes when I go to run errands I then stop off to chill with some friends and end up staying out till late at night. So whenever I leave the house if its before 3 I always make sure theres plenty of greens with King. But Knight is young still so he doesnt eat greens much so before I leave even if they just woke up I try to give him a few medium roaches to hold him over and then few greens incase he does want them.

Sorry I got off track lol. Yea Ill give him 10-15 at like 5pm or dinner time and then keep greens in his tank. Then Knight my other young dragon I feed him as many Medium Mix Roaches from WestCoastRoaches as he will eat twice a day. Sometimes he will eat 10 at every feeding or 15 a day or even 40 a day, never know with him. Hes a growing boyyyy

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't recommend allowing any dragon to eat more than 7 or so a day. If more protein is required than that then other feeders should be supplemented in.

-Brandon

wulfie

Hatchling Member
Bailey91990":1ao3glnv said:
Hey there. I was just curious with how many Superworms your beardy will eat in 1feeding/sitting & how big your beardy is?

My Boy who is now 15 1/2inches has been eating Superworms as a staple sense he was 12inches. Which I know isnt quite safe because 16inches is where people say for your dragon to be to eat them because the intestines str8en out. But I never had a problem with it because when he takes them from my hand he bends them in half everytime so he doesnt swallow them str8 on. I try to give him btwn 10-15 which he will eat within 2minutes. & I feel bad because if he eats that many that quick I prob should give him more but for some reason I feel like giving like30 of them which is what I think he can eat in 10minutes that it will cause him issues.
don't confuse superworms with mealworms, it's mealworms that shouldn't be fed to young dragons due to the high amount of chitin. superworms are fine as a staple :D

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I know that Wolfie. But if you read up and alot of people will tell you. Your not suppose to feed Large Superworms to a dragon thats under 16inches because there big and do have a shell and a bearded dragons intestines doesn't straighten out all the way till there around 16inches. THats what I was talking about.

& Brandon. I know what your saying. But hes been eating them sense he was 12inches because I didnt know it was a bad idea then. So I'm going to keep it btwn 10-15 a day. And then he will have his greens if hes still hungry

zandi202

BD.org Addict
I think you might want to drop it down to 10-12 supers a day. What I do is give them 10 a day with a big, dog dish size of bok choy and turnip greens mixed with the supers and they get all day to eat it. It seems to be just enough for them and Jace is 17.25" and Zy is 16.75".

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What you fed in the past isn't really a good reason as to why you are still feeding so much. Even 10 a day is a lot of fat. You might not notice it now, but fatty liver disease rears its ugly face later in life, due to earlier eating habits.

-Brandon

Bailey91990

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hmm I didnt really think of that.I do know a fatty liver is a big reason why beardys die and thats why you want to use Waxworms as a treat. & my boy is pretty fat and spoiled. So I guess Ill lower it to 10supers a day. Its just hard because there the cheapest & easiest staple to get for me because I refuse to use crickets. And my Dubia Colony is blooming its gotten so big sense day1 but I want to give it another month or two before picking at it alot. I have a bunch of Pheonixworms so maybe what Ill do is throw like 7 8supers in his bowl and then throw alot Pheonixworms in there .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom