Sir and and I need some advice please

Mellyssuh

Beardie name(s)
Mr. Man (or Sir)
Hello! First time bearded dragon owner, and I’ve been learning so much about him but I still have a few questions. So I’ve learned that his previous owners basically hand fed him because he almost refuses to eat unless I feed him with tongs so that’s kind of normal? Is there anything that I should be doing to make him more independent?

I’ve also noted that he has this gnarly shed going around his eyes, and I’ve tried to help him remove it with baths and a soft toothbrush (around the body) but his face seems to be the problem more specifically his eyes
Any advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 131

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello! First time bearded dragon owner, and I’ve been learning so much about him but I still have a few questions. So I’ve learned that his previous owners basically hand fed him because he almost refuses to eat unless I feed him with tongs so that’s kind of normal? Is there anything that I should be doing to make him more independent?

I’ve also noted that he has this gnarly shed going around his eyes, and I’ve tried to help him remove it with baths and a soft toothbrush (around the body) but his face seems to be the problem more specifically his eyes
Any advice?
Rinse the eye w/ some regular saline and then take the baby toothbrush and gently brush the loose stuff - I noticed the bulb in the pic is giving off a yellowish hue -- what are you using for a basking bulb brand and what are you using for a UVB? Coils are no good for a UVB -- you want a long tube fixture -- are you having to hand feed everything and is he actively eating or are you basically having to force feed him? Basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? You want surface basking temps 95-100 for a adult ? juvie taken w/a digital probe thermometer - if any of this needs to be corrected this will help w/ the feeding and correct the problem - dragons wont eat w/ out it being correct - and no its not normal for them not to eat on his own

Mellyssuh

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mr. Man (or Sir)
Thank you so so much!

I’m using a 120 watt bulb😩😩 and for night time a red bulb basking I think its called. His temperature never goes below at least 70f
I have 2 thermometers going one probe and the other analog- they read 80.8f and 80f with 48% humidity- the humidity never goes below that for some reason

Not force fed - but definitely “spoiled” like he’ll eat if I give him a worm first- then some salad- then a worm- then some salad- his previous owners dropped him off at a zoo and I have no clue about his previous feeding either

I’ve seen him go over to the salad by himself before but it’s almost like he’s shy- because the moment he spots me looking at him (because im completely in love with him) he kinda just slows down a bit till he thinks I’m not looking.

I’ve also tried to get him more active by putting some treats in a rolling ball with open holes for them to fall out of and he kinda nips at it a bit

No problem with bathroom issues
I’m saving up to redo his tank now because I figured out I have to get some tank cover things for the walls- and get rid of the reptile sand- he likes the rock and the little hanging woven hammock. And I’ve also notice him using his hide more which is nice- sometimes he goes in there at night

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so so much!

I’m using a 120 watt bulb😩😩 and for night time a red bulb basking I think its called. His temperature never goes below at least 70f
I have 2 thermometers going one probe and the other analog- they read 80.8f and 80f with 48% humidity- the humidity never goes below that for some reason

Not force fed - but definitely “spoiled” like he’ll eat if I give him a worm first- then some salad- then a worm- then some salad- his previous owners dropped him off at a zoo and I have no clue about his previous feeding either

I’ve seen him go over to the salad by himself before but it’s almost like he’s shy- because the moment he spots me looking at him (because im completely in love with him) he kinda just slows down a bit till he thinks I’m not looking.

I’ve also tried to get him more active by putting some treats in a rolling ball with open holes for them to fall out of and he kinda nips at it a bit

No problem with bathroom issues
I’m saving up to redo his tank now because I figured out I have to get some tank cover things for the walls- and get rid of the reptile sand- he likes the rock and the little hanging woven hammock. And I’ve also notice him using his hide more which is nice- sometimes he goes in there at night
First thing we need to do is get rid of the red bulb---------- they disrupt sleep and cause long term eye issues like blindness -- next temps in the tank should read 80's cool side 90's middle of the tank and surface basking temps 95-100 that temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer - the others can be taken w/ a stick on and those would be ambient temps - I would recommend getting another digital probe --
Please get rid of the sand it harbors bacterial and can cause impaction - please replace w/ paper towels for now and you can look for some textured NON adhesive shelf liner cut to the size of the tank clean w/ vinegar/ water 50-50 solution-- Walmart or your local home improvement store
Now for the next critical thing is a UVB -- you did not mention one -- dragons cannot live w/out UVB
the 120 watt bulb is a basking bulb???? or a red bulb?? You do not need heat at night unless your tank is under 65 F -- dragons like cool and dark it metabolizes their system for a better sleep -- you only want warmer temps at night like 80 IF your dragon is sick --
basking bulbs should be a solid clear bright white basking bulb-- NO daytime bulbs please and you need a digital probe thermometer to get the surface basking temps of 95-100 - place the probe where he sits for basking 10 min or so then get the temp -- examples of basking bulbs are Exo Terra Intense or Zoo Meds Repti basking bulbs - they are trial and error for temps so start w/ a 100 watt and go from there

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom