Silkworms worth it?

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
I went through a supplier that I'm familiar with and been dealing with for a couple years now. Butterworms BSFL hornworms dubias as well. I finally said I'll see what the fuss is about and ordered silkworms and they arrived today (2 day shipping) and they seem nonexistent. They literally are smaller than a tic tac and it says to add water and if I do they will drown. Never seen them this small

Attachments

• IMG_20220805_152859.jpg
    IMG_20220805_152859.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20220805_152855.jpg
    IMG_20220805_152855.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 101

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I would moisten the food, i think i would do it slowly though over a few day. Silkworms are great feeders so they are worth trying to save. I think mulberry is their preferred food. You can order it in power form and make it yourself same as hornworms. If they are going to become a staple you use that might be the better option for their food.

TheBeard9789

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I would moisten the food, i think i would do it slowly though over a few day. Silkworms are great feeders so they are worth trying to save. I think mulberry is their preferred food. You can order it in power form and make it yourself same as hornworms. If they are going to become a staple you use that might be the better option for their food.
I just misted them I seen them moving around and stuff rather than pouring water in the mist seemed enough. I never had luck with them out of everything I have ever ordered they are hands down the hardest to keep alive. Probably because of how small they are and how much it takes for them to grow to appropriate size

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have never ordered them, the few times I've had them i got them locally so they were already established

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abby999
Top Bottom