Silkworms and serrapeptase

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPandS

Juvie Member
I tried searching for more information about this but maybe it's just too early for me and I can't get what I'm looking for out of my head easy enough for Google to figure it out so I thought I'd ask here and hope you guys can understand me better.

I know silkworms produce serrapeptase but why is that? I know they only eat mulberry leaves so is it possible it's actually from the leaves? I read it comes from their digestive track so could it be possible it's from the way the leaves break down and not actually from the worm itself? I have a couple mulberry trees in and around my property that I pick the young leaves to feed my girls and also their feeders, they all tend to like the softer young leaves better. I'm not expecting the superworms I feed the leaves to to start producing serrapeptase but could it be possible?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Serrapeptase is produced by a bacterium in the gut of silkworms.
Supers wouldn't produce it unless they had the same bacteria in their guts.
Searches for the bacterium--Serratia marcescens ATCC 21074--along with superworms--produced zero results, so I doubt the supers have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom