Sick or sleepy baby ????

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvarz

my boyfriend and i recently got 3 babies, unsure of their age, when i went to pick them up the girl selling them to me said that one wasnt acting normal, well the entire ride home he didnt move or open his eyes.... we get him home and hes still not moving, he is breathing, he just looks like hes asleep. so we get them into their new home and the other 2 have their heads up looking at us but the third one still isnt moving. so i go to pick him up and set him in with the others and he opens his eyes and moves a lil so i set him down he looks ok for a couple min then goes back to sleep, when hes asleep hes totally out you can pick him up and he doesnt really move he might twist a tiny bit but thats it....for the last 2 days ( thats how long we've had them ) ive seen him awake a max of 5 min all together . he climbed in the water for a lil bit propped his head on the edge and went to sleep , climbed out and went back to sleep , tried to get on a rock and made it half way up and went to sleep, meanwhile the other 2 are normal , looking around eating a lot, the other weird thing is i notice he seems to hold his breath a lot and i think he slightly plays dead maybe because ive seen him awake and then he heard someone and he closed his eyes, and the last thing he did that worried me is for about a min he looked like he was trying to run backwards except he was kinda twitching his front feet then he stopped and went to sleep =( ...... im just worried about the sleepy one .... any one have any ideas on something to do ? anything?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

First off, the sick dragon needs to be separated from the other two so you can observe him or her better. He may not have gotten enough food perhaps if they were housed together with too many other dragons. Sometimes, a few dominate the others & they don't get enough food.
Has he shown any interest in food at all yet? If not, you may need to get a syringe without a needle & feed some babyfood such as chicken or turkey babyfood with squash babyfood. Try feeding .5 ml to 1 ml of food spread out through several feedings per day.
Do you have all of the proper lighting & temps too?

Tracie

luvarz

Original Poster
i didnt actually see him eat but i saw him awake for a min or so and he had went over to the food and some was missing , i didnt physically see him eat it but i think it was him, temp and cage are by the book, they are all the same age hes just a lil bigger but they are all still way small, they were all 3 caged together at the girls house but just those 3 no others and i believe they were born either at her house or her friends house i dont think they were ever at a pet store... i dunno if any of this info helps...

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So the one who is not doing well, is the larger one?
Well, I still say that if he is not doing well you should separate him from the other 2 so if he really is ill, they wont get sick too.
If too many are housed together, if one is sick, they will most likely all get sick.
Maybe he did eat I hope so.
What are your tank setups like?

Tracie

luvarz

Original Poster
temp is useually about 95 to 103 at the one end, they have fresh mixed vegetables ( frozen) water dish that they can get it but not deep , water is changed daily, they have a nice piece of granite under the heat lamp they all seem to love , and yes the sleepy one is the bigger one , based on info i found online id say they are about a month old give or take , about 5-6 inches long head to tail the big/ sleepy one is maybe an inch longer than the other 2, and hes about a 1/2 centimeter wider than the other 2

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps? If a stick-on type, they can be off by as much as 20 degrees. The only 2 ways to get accurate readings are with either a temperature gun or a digital thermometer with a long wire & probe end. What temp reading are you getting for the cool side? What UVB light are you using & is it a coil, compact or strip fluorescent bulb? How often are you dusting the live food with calcium & vitamins? What do you have for a substrate on the bottom of the tank?

Frozen vegetables really aren't good for them as the vitamins and nutrients are depleted once they're frozen. Here's a site that shows the best greens/veggies to feed: http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtreme.com/Nutrition.html

luvarz

Original Poster
Ill have to get back to you on the rest of that lol they are my boyfriends , hes at work, but like i said we have only had them 2 days (today being the 2nd day ) and hes been acting like this from the second i saw him at the girls house.......the thermometer is a fluker's digital thermometer that also shows the humidity.........

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the Flukers digital thermometer have a long wire & probe at the end? If it is just a digital without the probe, then you are not getting accurate readings.

luvarz

Original Poster
I called the girl who had him..........she said she thought he might have injured himself by getting poked on a stick ? anyways..... when I woke up this morning I'm sorry to say he had passed =( the good news in that info is he probably wasn't sick so his 2 siblings should be ok =) thanks anyways everyone =(

1happymommy

Juvie Member
Sorry you lost the little fellow. Keep reasearching this site & you will learn a lot so you can have healthy dragons for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom