Sick lizard.?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
FYI this picture will be gross***

Does this look okay.? It looks... mucousy.? He doesn't seem to want to eat this morning, which is way out of character because he always loves eating, will come after my hand for them and stuff but just seems to have no interest in his food this morning and I'm worried he isn't feeling well.?

Attachments

• 20221104_105207.jpg
    20221104_105207.jpg
    309 KB · Views: 104

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
FYI this picture will be gross***

Does this look okay.? It looks... mucousy.? He doesn't seem to want to eat this morning, which is way out of character because he always loves eating, will come after my hand for them and stuff but just seems to have no interest in his food this morning and I'm worried he isn't feeling well.?
poop looks fine--- dragons will slow down on their eating going into winter - to make sure this is the case what are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture ? Surface basking temps what are they are how are you taking the temps? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
poop looks fine--- dragons will slow down on their eating going into winter - to make sure this is the case what are you using for a UVB? coil or a long tube fixture ? Surface basking temps what are they are how are you taking the temps? NO stick ons please they are inaccurate
A 75 watt thrive basking bulb, a 100w all in one bulb by thrive (uva, uvb and heat--temp, our powersun went out and chris ordered a cheap tube 10.0 light from amazon to see how that works) air temps are about 99, surface range from 97 to 108. His basking rock is 99, the little log is also 99, the carpet right under the light reads 108-110. For some reason, directly under the light on the carpet reads like 118 half the time but i dont think thats right. I touch it and it's just nice and warm, not super hot. Using a digital thermometer that takes room temp and we do have a digital with a probe, but the probe always reads about 97.

He has been eating more superworms lately, a couple a day. We've been trying to get him to use his new ramp and he's a little skittish of it so we've been using those as positive reinforcement.

So him not bring really interested in his food is normal as it gets colder.? It's so unlikely him to not go after the food container or anything, he only ate maybe 7 crickets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A 75 watt thrive basking bulb, a 100w all in one bulb by thrive (uva, uvb and heat--temp, our powersun went out and chris ordered a cheap tube 10.0 light from amazon to see how that works) air temps are about 99, surface range from 97 to 108. His basking rock is 99, the little log is also 99, the carpet right under the light reads 108-110. For some reason, directly under the light on the carpet reads like 118 half the time but i dont think thats right. I touch it and it's just nice and warm, not super hot. Using a digital thermometer that takes room temp and we do have a digital with a probe, but the probe always reads about 97.

He has been eating more superworms lately, a couple a day. We've been trying to get him to use his new ramp and he's a little skittish of it so we've been using those as positive reinforcement.

So him not bring really interested in his food is normal as it gets colder.? It's so unlikely him to not go after the food container or anything, he only ate maybe 7 crickets.
Ok so the thrive all in one is no good -- the basking bulb as long as it's a solid bright white bulb it's fine- a cheap long tube fixture is not good- your dragon needs good lighting all the way -- what brand and bulb did he order? This uvb and correct surface basking temps are critical in the overall health of your dragon

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Ok so the thrive all in one is no good -- the basking bulb as long as it's a solid bright white bulb it's fine- a cheap long tube fixture is not good- your dragon needs good lighting all the way -- what brand and bulb did he order? This uvb and correct surface basking temps are critical in the overall health of your dragon
Luckyherp, I think. We're having to try different things because it's hard getting the right temp, the cage is all black and absorbing and holding a lot of heat so it's making it a lot hotter than it would be with a solid glass tank.

The surface temps have always been decent. We got some stands to raise the lights so it's not as hot but that's not making much of a difference.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Luckyherp, I think. We're having to try different things because it's hard getting the right temp, the cage is all black and absorbing and holding a lot of heat so it's making it a lot hotter than it would be with a solid glass tank.

The surface temps have always been decent. We got some stands to raise the lights so it's not as hot but that's not making much of a difference.
Lucky herp is not a good uvb- please send it back and get one of these - try Pet Smart if you have one or order it on line Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb or you can get this one but you must change the bulb out for a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
24" or 2 ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
Please get one of these they are a way better UVB --- your dragon is not getting any better w/ the UVB you now the coil and the Lucky Herp is no better--- all UVB's are not the same!
Your probe is going to give you accurate surface basking temps- you want 3 temps in the tank your surface basking temp --- middle of the tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's --- those can be taken w/a stick on or analog - the probe will also give you ambient temps as well --- if you can post a pic of the tank maybe we can see better how to help you -- I am going to say its the UVB coil thats giving you the issues w/ the not eating - they will stop eating if they dont have correct UVB --- please get your UVB corrected -- is there a screen on the tank ?

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Lucky herp is not a good uvb- please send it back and get one of these - try Pet Smart if you have one or order it on line Arcadia Reptile ProT5 UV-B Kit | reptile Heating & Lighting | PetSmart you want the 12% bulb or you can get this one but you must change the bulb out for a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb
24" or 2 ft https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjA0In0=
Please get one of these they are a way better UVB --- your dragon is not getting any better w/ the UVB you now the coil and the Lucky Herp is no better--- all UVB's are not the same!
Your probe is going to give you accurate surface basking temps- you want 3 temps in the tank your surface basking temp --- middle of the tank 90's and cool side of the tank 80's --- those can be taken w/a stick on or analog - the probe will also give you ambient temps as well --- if you can post a pic of the tank maybe we can see better how to help you -- I am going to say its the UVB coil thats giving you the issues w/ the not eating - they will stop eating if they dont have correct UVB --- please get your UVB corrected -- is there a screen on the tank ?
This is off topic but what the heck is this.? When he breathes, it covers the nostril sorta and when he inhales, it moves out of the way.? It's not on the other nostril. He's been having what looks like noae trumpets get in his nose and in a few hours, it sticks out and I can get it. But it doesn't cover the whole thing, they're showing up just on the inside of his nose.

Attachments

• 20221104_123246.jpg
    20221104_123246.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 49

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is off topic but what the heck is this.? When he breathes, it covers the nostril sorta and when he inhales, it moves out of the way.? It's not on the other nostril. He's been having what looks like noae trumpets get in his nose and in a few hours, it sticks out and I can get it. But it doesn't cover the whole thing, they're showing up just on the inside of his nose.
LoL -- that is shed -- leave it alone it will eventually come out

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
LoL -- that is shed -- leave it alone it will eventually come out
Gahh. Okay. There's been a couple over the last few days and I've been like wtf is that.😅

How do I get him not terrified of outside.? I just took him on the porch, two steps outside my door. He froze up, fixated on something. His tail was super stiff, his beard was *black* and puffy and then he lost it and tried his hardest to get out of my hands to run away. He was basically traumatized by just going outside and I can't figure out how to get him to adjust without having a meltdown.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Gahh. Okay. There's been a couple over the last few days and I've been like wtf is that.😅

How do I get him not terrified of outside.? I just took him on the porch, two steps outside my door. He froze up, fixated on something. His tail was super stiff, his beard was *black* and puffy and then he lost it and tried his hardest to get out of my hands to run away. He was basically traumatized by just going outside and I can't figure out how to get him to adjust without having a meltdown.
Yeah I am not sure on that one--- so hes not comfortable sitting on you but spazs out? If that is the case I would not push it --- mine did the same thing and I have not pushed the issue- hes more of a window kinda guy and since I have good UVB in the tank I dont worry about it- Hiccup loves the window so he gets 2 hrs of sitting on the back of my chair looking out the LR window - yours may of saw a bird and that scared him - birds are predators --

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Yeah I am not sure on that one--- so hes not comfortable sitting on you but spazs out? If that is the case I would not push it --- mine did the same thing and I have not pushed the issue- hes more of a window kinda guy and since I have good UVB in the tank I dont worry about it- Hiccup loves the window so he gets 2 hrs of sitting on the back of my chair looking out the LR window - yours may of saw a bird and that scared him - birds are predators --
He doesn't even like the blinds open. He's usually good with sitting on me otherwise, like in the bed. But something about being outside sets him off. He gets fixated on anything, the wall, the porch light, etc. And just looses his mind. He'll freeze up and then try like hell to run.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He doesn't even like the blinds open. He's usually good with sitting on me otherwise, like in the bed. But something about being outside sets him off. He gets fixated on anything, the wall, the porch light, etc. And just looses his mind. He'll freeze up and then try like hell to run.
Poor guy- will he sit on you in the LR? Something must have traumatized him before you got him- I don't have any idea how to fix this issue- just try different times to take him out w/ you- you can try a pet carrier taken outside w/ him in it and open the flap so he can sit in the carrier as well but make sure he's w/ in your reach in case he decides to bolt- they are fast - place him in the yard open space so he can't get under anything- if he's still not having it I wouldn't force the issue

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Poor guy- will he sit on you in the LR? Something must have traumatized him before you got him- I don't have any idea how to fix this issue- just try different times to take him out w/ you- you can try a pet carrier taken outside w/ him in it and open the flap so he can sit in the carrier as well but make sure he's w/ in your reach in case he decides to bolt- they are fast - place him in the yard open space so he can't get under anything- if he's still not having it I wouldn't force the issue
He came from petco and was about two months when we got him. They said his batch came from El Salvador but I can't imagine something to screw him up while he was so young. Even in out enclosed back porch, kind of like a sun room, he freezes and gets fixated on something.

Heck, even in other parts of the house, we have hanging light fixtures, not quite as fancy as chandeliers but he gets locked on those like it's a giant bird ready to swoop down. But he'll sit on me in anywhere in the house, even if his eyes are wide and set on something. He wont run in the living room or kitchen, aside from wanting to explore. But being outside is the end all be all, he's going to bolt. And he is super super fast. Way faster than I figured he'd be.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He came from petco and was about two months when we got him. They said his batch came from El Salvador but I can't imagine something to screw him up while he was so young. Even in out enclosed back porch, kind of like a sun room, he freezes and gets fixated on something.

Heck, even in other parts of the house, we have hanging light fixtures, not quite as fancy as chandeliers but he gets locked on those like it's a giant bird ready to swoop down. But he'll sit on me in anywhere in the house, even if his eyes are wide and set on something. He wont run in the living room or kitchen, aside from wanting to explore. But being outside is the end all be all, he's going to bolt. And he is super super fast. Way faster than I figured he'd be.
Ok well hes not a out door dragon and some of them are like that --- so just follow his ques and let him be where hes most comfortable --- so its nothing from the past - thats just him

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom