Sick 'izzard *gross photo warning

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We were afraid toothless wouldn't eat today again. He only ate 5 superworms yesterday and refused everything else, which is way way not normal. But he woke up today and was willing to eat one cricket, ate about half a grub bowl of BSFL, maybe 15 dubias and couple bites of his salad, which is great. Better than yesterday. We were worried he was real sick yesterday, he laid around and didn't move around much yesterday. But he pooped this morning and it was super... mucus-y and loose... does it look normal.? I know, I know, I post alot of poop photos, it's gross.

Also, I had an online vet consult last night and when she saw him, she said there's no way he's under a year and was adamant he was an adult. But we got him sept 1st of this year and he was only 6 inches. She said we had the lights too hot and it sped up his metabolism, making him grow more and it'll cause more health problems. But we didn't have them too hot, we had them what you guys advised, and he didn't grow overnight. By the second month, he was gaining 10g a day and then sprouted up. Surely... he couldn't of already been like 6 months and only 6 inches long when we got him, right.? Like, that doesn't sound possible.

Attachments

• 20221110_103750.jpg
    20221110_103750.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 103

Groggyfroggie

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Draco
Sometimes they just have an off day, maybe overeating themselves a little and need to just bask to digest everything. With the correct lighting and temperature, an odd poop once in a while isn't too much concern. I think in one of your previous posts you mentioned the pet store didn't know his exact birthday. Looking at his pictures he just looks like a juvenile to me.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I have been told on multiple occasions that my beardies were much older, they sat on 1 joint of my index finger the day to brought them home. I KNEW their ages beyond any doubt. I have also had 4 different vets tell me i was wrong about my ferrets ages. They all 4 said 5 years was the best you can hope for. We have had 3 pass all were near nine years old, our last one is 8.
My point is vets don't always know. My beardies were adult size by 7 to 8 months old (the ones i raised from hatchlings).
And as far as the lights being to hot, watch the Dav Kaughman youtube on beardies, he went to Australia and measured the ground temp mid day, it was 165 degrees. Of course beardies hide during that part of the day, but it us HOT there.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Sometimes they just have an off day, maybe overeating themselves a little and need to just bask to digest everything. With the correct lighting and temperature, an odd poop once in a while isn't too much concern. I think in one of your previous posts you mentioned the pet store didn't know his exact birthday. Looking at his pictures he just looks like a juvenile to me.
I have been told on multiple occasions that my beardies were much older, they sat on 1 joint of my index finger the day to brought them home. I KNEW their ages beyond any doubt. I have also had 4 different vets tell me i was wrong about my ferrets ages. They all 4 said 5 years was the best you can hope for. We have had 3 pass all were near nine years old, our last one is 8.
My point is vets don't always know. My beardies were adult size by 7 to 8 months old (the ones i raised from hatchlings).
And as far as the lights being to hot, watch the Dav Kaughman youtube on beardies, he went to Australia and measured the ground temp mid day, it was 165 degrees. Of course beardies hide during that part of the day, but it us HOT there.
He's had some mucus-y poops the last few days, not all of them, but at least one or two but this last one was super concerning.

I'm really hoping he starts going back to normal and eats a little better within the next day or so... When I woke up this morning, he was hanging off his hammock, like just his back legs and lower body hanging all the way off his hammock, which is weird since he went to sleep on the other side of his hammock. I was terrified I was going to wake up to find him passed.😕😕

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
You could take the poop into the vet for a fecal test, here in vegas it's only like 45 bucks, Drache613 can do it also, but i don't know the price.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
You could take the poop into the vet for a fecal test, here in vegas it's only like 45 bucks, Drache613 can do it also, but i don't know the price.
Maaaan there's like no lizard vets here and I called, asked for what a basic check up costs for them and just the office visit was 80$. It's ridiculous, I hate Georgia.😅

I joined that just answers thing and it gets me a 25% discount at certain vets so I may look into that. I just want my boy to be healthy, it's stressing me out

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Believe i understand, i have one that isn't feeling well right now, it will keep you up at night.
You don't have to do the office visit to take a fecal in, its a stand alone test, i think most vets send it out to a lab anyway.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Believe i understand, i have one that isn't feeling well right now, it will keep you up at night.
You don't have to do the office visit to take a fecal in, its a stand alone test, i think most vets send it out to a lab anyway.
I didn't think about that. I'll have to call around and see how much it'd cost. I definitely think he's having tummy issues

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
If he is, it's better to get on top of it early. Hopefully he just ate something that upset his tummy.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom