Sick dragon?

Zae

Hey everyone. So I got a new bearded dragon today at a reptile show. Wasnt the best lighting in there but I did try to look him over. I noticed a couple of missing toes and a slight bend in the tail and a bit skinny but seemed ok. Got him home and gave him a bath because I noticed some stuck shed.

Upon further inspection of the dragon in better lighting the belly looks dirty or possible mites? I saw 1 black spec float in the bath but thought it was dirt. His poop is also no where near normal. Its watery, small, and has no brown coloration to it.

I'm trying to contact the breeder from the show but so far I haven't gotten a reply back. Do you guys think this dragon is sick? I'm considering taking him back tomorrow and would like opinions please.

Attachments

• 20220430_171744.jpg
    20220430_171744.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20220430_170951.jpg
    20220430_170951.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 85

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone. So I got a new bearded dragon today at a reptile show. Wasnt the best lighting in there but I did try to look him over. I noticed a couple of missing toes and a slight bend in the tail and a bit skinny but seemed ok. Got him home and gave him a bath because I noticed some stuck shed.

Upon further inspection of the dragon in better lighting the belly looks dirty or possible mites? I saw 1 black spec float in the bath but thought it was dirt. His poop is also no where near normal. Its watery, small, and has no brown coloration to it.

I'm trying to contact the breeder from the show but so far I haven't gotten a reply back. Do you guys think this dragon is sick? I'm considering taking him back tomorrow and would like opinions please.
I am going to flag your post to AHBD ---- please wait and see what she says before you take him back --
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Is the dragon a Dunner ? The scale pattern looks like it. So there is something going on with the scales that has caused damage, it might be something that you can get taken care of but it would probably be good for a vet to see it. I don't know if the breeder will take it back but if you're worried you can see if they will. The small poo can happen just from being stressed.

Zae

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. The dragon is suppose to be a Trans Witblit. No dunner there. The breeder did finally reach back out to me about my concerns. He explained the poo probably looked like this because they fed the babies lettuce on the way to the show, they are from CA and came to MO. He does admit that it looks like scale mites. He is willing to refund the price, was even wanting to throw in dubias for the trouble.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, good that he's willing to take it back. Hopefully he'll take good care of it. Was he the breeder or just a dealer with a lot of different reptiles ? The stomach scales are consistent with a Dunner, they go every which way rather than in straight pattern. Can you post a pic of the beardie from the top ?

Zae

Original Poster
O.K, good that he's willing to take it back. Hopefully he'll take good care of it. Was he the breeder or just a dealer with a lot of different reptiles ? The stomach scales are consistent with a Dunner, they go every which way rather than in straight pattern. Can you post a pic of the beardie from the top ?
He was the breeder. They mostly produce reds I think. I can give the name if you want. This dragon is also a leatherback. I have him quarentined in a medium tote inside the enclosure just in case it is mites.
20220430_221835.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This dragon is not very healthy, hip bones showing means it's not eating enough and it's very skinny in general. I would avoid a breeder that would sell one like this. Too bad you'll have to sanitize your entire tank now since you don't know if the beardie has anything else wrong that can be contagious to your next dragon.

Zae

Original Poster
I thought it might have been a bit skinny because of the trip. I will be deep cleaning everything tomorrow when I get back home from taking him back. Also going to see what else this breeder says about him. Thanks for your help on this :)

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom