Sick Beardie

Petgirly

Beardie name(s)
Elliot
Hi there, I’ve had my guy for just over a year now. He has had GI issues most of his life. Been through parasite testing and treatment with meds. Stool was never perfect but was much better. Then Earlier this year his foot became swollen. Did x rays and he either had a bone infection or it was bone cancer in one of his toes. Tried antibiotic for 6 weeks and toe seems stable. Bone will never look normal but has not progressed into other area of the foot. Now he has stopped eating and has what we believe is fluid in his stomach. We have done X-rays and blood (see attached) with no real conclusion on what’s going on. Other than the x rays do look suspicious. The Dr also thought she could feel something in his stomach. At this point I’m wondering if she stool issues, foot issue are all related and he is full of cancer. He is bright and alert but will not eat anything (I have tried everything known to man) so I am now force feeding him and he is getting fluids. He is still producing stool normally with no issues. Anyone have and thoughts or suggestions? He is only just over a year and I feel like I’m loosing him already. 💔

Attachments

• 35FA9C78-966A-4C91-9346-EEEAE53EC5FC.jpeg
    35FA9C78-966A-4C91-9346-EEEAE53EC5FC.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 23B654FF-C815-403A-9105-AF1BCFEAC6C0.jpg
    23B654FF-C815-403A-9105-AF1BCFEAC6C0.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 55019656-BC9E-4B46-91AD-D4B7D7C4ADCE.jpg
    55019656-BC9E-4B46-91AD-D4B7D7C4ADCE.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 64
  • A4AB46A9-0650-4F7E-A316-CAB680BE624D.jpg
    A4AB46A9-0650-4F7E-A316-CAB680BE624D.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
  • FF397F1E-A92D-4915-8C64-19BEB612CF95.jpg
    FF397F1E-A92D-4915-8C64-19BEB612CF95.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 75

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi there, I’ve had my guy for just over a year now. He has had GI issues most of his life. Been through parasite testing and treatment with meds. Stool was never perfect but was much better. Then Earlier this year his foot became swollen. Did x rays and he either had a bone infection or it was bone cancer in one of his toes. Tried antibiotic for 6 weeks and toe seems stable. Bone will never look normal but has not progressed into other area of the foot. Now he has stopped eating and has what we believe is fluid in his stomach. We have done X-rays and blood (see attached) with no real conclusion on what’s going on. Other than the x rays do look suspicious. The Dr also thought she could feel something in his stomach. At this point I’m wondering if she stool issues, foot issue are all related and he is full of cancer. He is bright and alert but will not eat anything (I have tried everything known to man) so I am now force feeding him and he is getting fluids. He is still producing stool normally with no issues. Anyone have and thoughts or suggestions? He is only just over a year and I feel like I’m loosing him already. 💔
We need Tracie to address this - she is our vet tech mod
@Drache613

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor guy, that is terrible he has had to go through all of this already, at such a young age.
You are positive he is male but not female? It is late here so I will look at the x-rays again tomorrow
but did but it almost looks like the visible outlines of possible eggs. If not, then it is something else,
they mentioned fluid or something else. The calcium is a little high which can occur with some tumors
but most of the time it indicates egg production.
The Uric acid & AST look to be in range.
Has he lost any weight recently or been maintaining?
Continue with daily fluids right now. He is not on any medications right now, correct?
If you can afford it, you could consider an ultrasound to see if they can try to pinpoint anything else.
I'll write more on Monday when I get a chance.

Tracie

Petgirly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elliot
Hello,

Poor guy, that is terrible he has had to go through all of this already, at such a young age.
You are positive he is male but not female? It is late here so I will look at the x-rays again tomorrow
but did but it almost looks like the visible outlines of possible eggs. If not, then it is something else,
they mentioned fluid or something else. The calcium is a little high which can occur with some tumors
but most of the time it indicates egg production.
The Uric acid & AST look to be in range.
Has he lost any weight recently or been maintaining?
Continue with daily fluids right now. He is not on any medications right now, correct?
If you can afford it, you could consider an ultrasound to see if they can try to pinpoint anything else.
I'll write more on Monday when I get a chance.

Tracie
Thank you. As far as we know he is male but realistically I have no clue but I would assume the vet would? They didn’t mention the possibility of him being female but I will lose the question to them. If there is eggs do they normally get a fluid filled abdomen? His abdomen for sure has fluid as you can feel it. He has maybe lost about 30 grams but overall been pretty stable. I will speak to the vet about an ultrasound. Thank you for your help. I’m so worried about him.
Jenn

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
To determine the sex, arch the tail like this :

Petgirly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elliot
To determine the sex, arch the tail like this :

I’m thinking boy but it’s not easy to tell!

Attachments

• FD4DCAD7-A425-485E-B59E-02E7D13B4451.jpeg
    FD4DCAD7-A425-485E-B59E-02E7D13B4451.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 53

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Candle light it to be for sure. Be careful not to burn him with the light.

Attachments

• s2OIALbl.jpg
    s2OIALbl.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 61

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thank you for checking! I was suspicious & there appeared to be visible outlines of
eggs, to me, on the x-rays. She is likely egg bound, so I highly recommend going to the
vet again, or finding another one more qualified. Honestly, it should have been mentioned
previously by the vet simply by the x-rays.
Fluid can be caused by egg issues, yes. Has she not tried to scratch around as if she was
trying to dig, etc?
How is she doing today?

Tracie

Petgirly

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Elliot
She has not been digging or exhibiting any behavior that would make me think nesting…..other than not wanting to eat and a bloated belly, everything else is completely normal! Very activate and happy. (Except when it’s force feeding time!) I asked the vet about possibility of eggs and they did offer me a quote for surgery however unfortunately it is something I just cannot afford….. I have made a nesting area in her habitat now and she has been in it a few times moving around the bedding. I’m crossing my fingers and trying to remain positive. I appreciate all your help.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, that is a little bit of progress. You could get her on some liquid calcium to help out her
system in case she needs a boost right now. Some extra oral fluids too wouldn't hurt.
I hope she starts to do better for you. Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom