Sick Beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuJiMuFu

Hey there. this is the 1st time im writing in a forum but im in need of help.
my beardie Axel isn't eating as much as usual. he use to eat about 15-20 crickets a day and 5-10 super worms. but now he eats one super worm and maybe 1-2 crickets.
this has been going on for a month now.
im beginning to think he may have worms from what ive read on other forums but im not sure.
he is about 8 months old now and only 25-30cm.
he hates veggies and will only eat rocket. i do give him reptivites (a multivitamin pellet) with his veggies.
im very worried about him.
pls any help would be greatly appreciated.
oh and i live in east London eastern cape, that's the reason i haven't taken him to the vet as they are illegal here.
regards

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Why are you feeding him supers? He's only 10 inches if he's 30 cm, way to small. Also, what UVB are you using? That will greatly effect appetite aswell as growth, basking temps please?

JuJiMuFu

Original Poster
its one of the easier food to get here.
the temp under his basking site ranges from between 36-40 degrees cel in summer and 32-35 degrees cel in winter.
the cooler side is 28-30 degrees respectively.
i use exoterra 10.0 uvb florecent tube that is the length of my tank.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
Also what substrate are you using and when was the last time he pooped?

Your basking spots are way to cold, it needs to be about 40-43 C

Superworms are to big at 10 inches or 30 cm, it can/will make him impacted and he can die. Feed crickets they're better.

JuJiMuFu

Original Poster
i use to use newspaper but on saturday i changed to corn cob substrate to absorb the pee from their poop. his poops are about every 2 days or so and are rather dry.
i bath him but he loathes it. puffs himself up like a balloon. and he wont drink water if i put it on his lips. i have a large water bown in the tank but he doesnt go to it.
he hates being misted aswell. he doesnt like to go by the basking area, he lies in the colder part of the tank. he gets energy spurts and scratches on the glass of the tank franticly untill i take him out and hold him. im not sure if its a winter thing as its very cold here in south africa at the moment.
i spoke to one of the guys at my petstore and he has 2 beardies and he says i shouldnt worry, he had one that went 3 months without eating and then started aeting well again. but i dont want to take the chance.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
I'm also from South Africa and have noticed my dragon also slowed down. I would however try to get your basking temp down to about 32. Also, bearded dragons aqen't illegal here, just not very well known. I would also swop your current substrate for tile or reptile carpet.

JuJiMuFu

Original Poster
I was looking at the advised temps and my basking area is at the right heat. I wmy temp gauge was not under the light. The cel fer convertion is something I can't answer. Get the convertion ap for blackberry or iphone

mellu

Juvie Member
32 is waaaay too low for a basking temperatures. I'm Canadian and we do things in Celsius, 40 degrees would be ideal for your basking spot and 30-32 for your cool side.

Kidster96

Hatchling Member
So confused! I used a website and it said 40 degrees C was 105 F which would mean you need a 105 basking spot >_< Aaaa.

Mistyck

Extreme Poster
Basking spots need to be between 105-110 for a baby, and brought down to 100-105 for adults. So yes, that is correct.

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
I am aware of the 105 Fahrenheit guide, but my guess (and experience with both my own two and those of friends), the humidity or type of heat makes a difference. If I take the basking spot anything over 35 degrees Celcius they stay on the cool side, gape permanently and tend to dehydrate very quickly. Considering it is winter at the moment and even though the temperatures in the vits stay very constant, they do slow down for the colder months. In my opinion, as they are semi-brumating already, to me it makes sense to slightly lower their temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom