Sick Beardie & Vet Visit (Asking for Additional Advice on Pinworms/Inappetence)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good morning, sadly, we got the call this morning that our big boy Bender has passed away. We know he fought terribly hard and I suppose didn’t want us to see him pass. We are devastated and grieving now. We love you, and will miss you buddy! I’ve posted some pictures of Bender over the years in his honor…

Thank you all for your help. I wish your fellow beardie companions all the best!
OH my I am so sorry--- have they told you what they thought he passed from? That to me was awful sudden-- I feel terrible and shocked at the same time--- how old was Bender? I am so sorry again -- you become so attached to them and it literally breaks your heart when something like this happens --- :cry: 💔-- I am hoping Tracie will chime in on the test results you posted

BenderTheBeardie

Original Poster
OH my I am so sorry--- have they told you what they thought he passed from? That to me was awful sudden-- I feel terrible and shocked at the same time--- how old was Bender? I am so sorry again -- you become so attached to them and it literally breaks your heart when something like this happens --- :cry: 💔-- I am hoping Tracie will chime in on the test results you posted
He was 7yrs old. It was hard for them to say what exactly what it was, but the x-ray results did not look good and all that was mentioned was URI/Pneumonia and potentially something with the heart.

BenderTheBeardie

Original Poster
He was 7yrs old. It was hard for them to say what exactly what it was, but the x-ray results did not look good and all that was mentioned was URI/Pneumonia and potentially something with the heart.

Certainly seemed sudden. We are on our way to pick him up for his burial and will ask further questions.

BenderTheBeardie

Original Poster
Hi all, I’m writing to see if anybody has experience with X-rays and bloodwork and could tell me what it looks like, how bad it looks? I’m trying to find closure in knowing that he’s in a better place but I/we can’t seem to get it. We don’t think our vet did him right and could use some other advice. It certainly seems odd to see that not even 1 day into the “hospitalization/boarding” he passes. I’m also pissed that in none of my conversations with the vet regarding symptoms has URI popped up into the equation. We took him for a check up in June due to some frequent opening/closing of the mouth but was pretty much told he looks good, a bit overweight and dehydrated, and could use some harder chopped veggies “to clean” the teeth. I didn’t opt for any further testing based on that, and certainly would have if I was just told otherwise. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, no mention of URI or any potential lung or breathing issues - would make sense to say it’s best to get an X-ray so we can see what’s going on in there.

…just before his final vet visit on Saturday he was perky and alert on my shoulder as soon as the car stopped. Yes, he was sleeping during the ride, but it was somewhat bumpy. Who wouldn’t?

When we went to pick up his body, the doctor made reference to giving Baytril and IV fluid. I wasn’t sure if they fed him, but I hope so. Could the Baytril have screwed him up? He was on the Fortaz just 2 days prior…

Attachments

• 97B48473-B951-4558-B751-124E7B5528CD.jpeg
    97B48473-B951-4558-B751-124E7B5528CD.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 123

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all, I’m writing to see if anybody has experience with X-rays and bloodwork and could tell me what it looks like, how bad it looks? I’m trying to find closure in knowing that he’s in a better place but I/we can’t seem to get it. We don’t think our vet did him right and could use some other advice. It certainly seems odd to see that not even 1 day into the “hospitalization/boarding” he passes. I’m also pissed that in none of my conversations with the vet regarding symptoms has URI popped up into the equation. We took him for a check up in June due to some frequent opening/closing of the mouth but was pretty much told he looks good, a bit overweight and dehydrated, and could use some harder chopped veggies “to clean” the teeth. I didn’t opt for any further testing based on that, and certainly would have if I was just told otherwise. Fast forward 2 weeks ago, no mention of URI or any potential lung or breathing issues - would make sense to say it’s best to get an X-ray so we can see what’s going on in there.

…just before his final vet visit on Saturday he was perky and alert on my shoulder as soon as the car stopped. Yes, he was sleeping during the ride, but it was somewhat bumpy. Who wouldn’t?

When we went to pick up his body, the doctor made reference to giving Baytril and IV fluid. I wasn’t sure if they fed him, but I hope so. Could the Baytril have screwed him up? He was on the Fortaz just 2 days prior…
Please PM drache613 she's the vet tech mod- I had flagged your post but she has not responded

Shinryu

Hatchling Member
Staff member
Lead Writer
I'm so sorry that Bender passed away. :cry: He was a beautiful beardie and sounds like you did everything you could for him. My heart breaks for you. Has Tracy gotten back to you with your remaining questions? @Drache613 I'm tagging her on this post.

beardie

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Administrator
Founder
Beardie name(s)
Cailyth, Pinky, & Brain
So sorry to hear that Bender didn't make it. That's sad news indeed. If you ever venture down the beardie path again, I hope to see you again.

Also, if you were interested, feel free to make a Memorial post in tribute to Bender in our Memorial forum.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I was just getting ready to comment here! I am so sorry Bender passed away while at the vets. I was thinking possible
metabolic bone issue complications. His calcium levels were a bit high which can indicate renal issues sometimes. It did
not indicate in the uric acid readings but they are very good at hiding illness.
They tend to be prone to pneumonia due to the lack of cilia in their lungs leaving them vulnerable to those problems.
I am so sorry that he didn't make it. It is never easy to lose them, so suddenly.
Yes, if he was having renal issues, giving excess medication would cause organ failure. Overmedication causes marked
issues in a lot of cases it seems like. :cry:

My condolences to you.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom