Sick Beardie, everyone’s at a loss

apotts10

Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I’m a vet tech with access to a lot of diagnostic options. My Beardie toothless is about 9 months old. She was doing very well in a 40 gallon but we upgraded to a Dubia 4x2x2 about 4 months ago. Since then she has been ill. First we did a fecal and she had coccidia. So she’s been on medication on and off. She cleared that infection. I cleaned every day with ammonia and threw away all the stuff I couldn’t clean or boil.

She still wouldn’t eat, bask, and was lethargic. We ran a blood panel which I will attach. The values are everywhere but my exotic vet isn’t sure where to go.

She still isn’t eating, defecating, lethargic, not basking and is cold and laying in the same spot. Baths aren’t helping. She’s not shedding and is losing weight. I have force fed her. I’ve done sq fluids. Nothing is changing. I’m willing to send off a fourth fecal but need her to actually defecate. Her eyes are sunken in now and I’m really starting to question her quality of life.

The only thing I haven’t done is X-rays because although I’m a vet tech I have spent over 1000 with no answers and no improvement. I don’t know what else to do.

Attachments

• ADFC23D8-A4F7-4F8C-969E-5358A0CB4160.jpg
    ADFC23D8-A4F7-4F8C-969E-5358A0CB4160.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 87

apotts10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
I’m a vet tech with access to a lot of diagnostic options. My Beardie toothless is about 9 months old. She was doing very well in a 40 gallon but we upgraded to a Dubia 4x2x2 about 4 months ago. Since then she has been ill. First we did a fecal and she had coccidia. So she’s been on medication on and off. She cleared that infection. I cleaned every day with ammonia and threw away all the stuff I couldn’t clean or boil.

She still wouldn’t eat, bask, and was lethargic. We ran a blood panel which I will attach. The values are everywhere but my exotic vet isn’t sure where to go.

She still isn’t eating, defecating, lethargic, not basking and is cold and laying in the same spot. Baths aren’t helping. She’s not shedding and is losing weight. I have force fed her. I’ve done sq fluids. Nothing is changing. I’m willing to send off a fourth fecal but need her to actually defecate. Her eyes are sunken in now and I’m really starting to question her quality of life.

The only thing I haven’t done is X-rays because although I’m a vet tech I have spent over 1000 with no answers and no improvement. I don’t know what else to do.
I need to add that all the cage lighting and temps are on my profile.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I need to add that all the cage lighting and temps are on my profile.
The uvb is too close- please raise it to 12-15 inches- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- please make changes and see what happens

apotts10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
The uvb is too close- please raise it to 12-15 inches- surface basking temps should be 95-100 taken w/ a digital probe thermometer- please make changes and see what happens
Sorry I remeasured to make sure. It is far enough from there.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry your girl is having a hard time! I will take a closer look at the blood test. I did notice that
the total protein is a little high. Has she laid infertile eggs before? Do you have any pictures of
her you could post?

Tracie

apotts10

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
She has never laid eggs before no. I’ve attached some pics of her from last night when I got her to bask for a bit.

Attachments

• C06A84CD-502D-49AA-856C-C74291379F17.jpeg
    C06A84CD-502D-49AA-856C-C74291379F17.jpeg
    203.8 KB · Views: 69
  • 59A3BD96-E222-4FA7-AC2B-0CB00267F6A4.jpeg
    59A3BD96-E222-4FA7-AC2B-0CB00267F6A4.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 67

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks good there, fairly alert , eyes not sunken, good weight. Did her problems start after you began medicating her and what meds. + how much did she have to take ? If it was Albon, it can be very harsh. I think possibly a combination of meds. making her sick and relocation stress may have played a part. Another possibility is that ammonia fumes could add to making her feel sick. How much did you use and how did you make sure there were no fumes lingering ? Most animals would be more sensitive to fumes than we would, being in a small enclosure.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no I am so sorry you lost her, that is definitely not expected. :cry: How terrible for you both.
I was going to review bloodwork with you. It looked like she was possibly having some liver
issues as the enzymes were elevated. The calcium was definitely high which can sometimes
indicate egg production, or renal problems, too. The calcium to phosphorus was off some.
They think she had a brand aneurism?
My condolences.

Tracie

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Oh no I'm so sorry to hear that. my condolences.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom