Sick Bearded Dragon

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Yeah, the blood results showed him having poor calcium levels (1:1 ratio with phosphorus). Strange that all these neuro symptoms didn't really start until I began treating the hypocalcemia (in the last week). Maybe just a coincidence...

The vet said based on what I have been giving him an overdose/hypercalcemia is unlikely.
Just an update to all:

Drax seems to be improving. He is certainly better today than he was this time last week. Along with his walking/posture going back to normal, the tremors have become less frequent... I actually didn't see him do it at all yesterday, though his body does vibrate a bit when I hold him (maybe some of that is nervousness from me continuing to syringe feed him). He is very active and alert and yesterday he was a beautiful bright yellow (he is a super citrus dragon, but lately he has had a more dull color).

Despite these improvements, he is still not showing any interest in food. I want to try to pull back on force feeding him as he isn't in as bad of shape, but I don't want him to regress and lose any more weight. This is especially the case because he is still at his lowest weight since all of this started (230-240 grams).

Also, as a side note, when he does go to the bathroom, his urates are very small... almost like a drop (they are white though).

Chris

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Glad to read there have been improvements in him Chris I was actually wondering how he was this morning.

Hopefully this is the start of continued improvement for him

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Just an update to all:

Drax seems to be improving. He is certainly better today than he was this time last week. Along with his walking/posture going back to normal, the tremors have become less frequent... I actually didn't see him do it at all yesterday, though his body does vibrate a bit when I hold him (maybe some of that is nervousness from me continuing to syringe feed him). He is very active and alert and yesterday he was a beautiful bright yellow (he is a super citrus dragon, but lately he has had a more dull color).

Despite these improvements, he is still not showing any interest in food. I want to try to pull back on force feeding him as he isn't in as bad of shape, but I don't want him to regress and lose any more weight. This is especially the case because he is still at his lowest weight since all of this started (230-240 grams).

Also, as a side note, when he does go to the bathroom, his urates are very small... almost like a drop (they are white though).

Chris
Today Drax took a huge step... he ate greens from my hands (3 big pieces)! This is the first time since December 23rd that he has eaten (not including from a syringe). He has definitely been improving ever since I made the switch to the Zilla liquid calcium. Hopefully this progress continues!

Chris

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Today Drax took a huge step... he ate greens from my hands (3 big pieces)! This is the first time since December 23rd that he has eaten (not including from a syringe). He has definitely been improving ever since I made the switch to the Zilla liquid calcium. Hopefully this progress continues!

Chris
Good to hear - that UVB is helping out too - its helping him absorb/ synthesize the calcium your giving him :)

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Everything was trending in the right direction, then randomly he started having issues walking again... He has a severe limp that seemed to start over night. Basically his walking is so bad he isn't willing to move. Do you have any theories? It seems weird that hypocalcemia would cause this considering he is getting calcium and he has been improving. This is such a sudden setback I almost wonder if he fell or if it is something else.

He is still eating greens from my hands (4 out of the last 5 days) btw.

Attachments

• Video.mov
    538.4 KB

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Everything was trending in the right direction, then randomly he started having issues walking again... He has a severe limp that seemed to start over night. Basically his walking is so bad he isn't willing to move. Do you have any theories? It seems weird that hypocalcemia would cause this considering he is getting calcium and he has been improving. This is such a sudden setback I almost wonder if he fell or if it is something else.

He is still eating greens from my hands (4 out of the last 5 days) btw.
@Drache613
@AHBD

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
To add to this:
He had taken a fairly bad fall a couple days ago (I believe Monday evening) while scratching the glass from atop his basking rock. It was bad enough that I looked him over to make sure he was okay. He seemed to shake it off and was moving fine afterwards. These walking issues didn't present until 24 hours later (Tuesday evening). It also really seemed to get worse yesterday (Wednesday) as the day progressed. It went from a minor limp in the morning (left-front arm didn't even seem to be the main issue), to his left limbs (especially left-front arm) being partially paralyzed by the evening. As of this morning, his left-front arm just drags as he tries to move. The attached videos show his early morning walk yesterday compared to the walk by dinner time, which is the video I had already posted.

This is really scary and I am not sure what could have brought this on so fast. The vet said it could be an injury and to try to adjust the tank for healing (blankets). He also said that it could be neurological issues. I also found that hypercalcification can lead to joint pain and walking issues. Should I maybe cut back on the calcium? Definitely hoping someone has an idea.... I feel so bad for my little buddy.

Attachments

• Video.mov
    538.4 KB
  • IMG_3754.MOV
    9.8 MB
Last edited:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may be that Dax had already developed weak bones that were somewhat brittle before the calcium was started. Think of a person with osteoporosis. They can be started on a regimen of calcium + other helpful supplements but if the damage is done they can still develop a fracture during treatment if they fall or jar their affected bone in some way. So Dax may have slightly hurt his foot from all the jumping because even though he has started on supplements he was already pre disposed to injury. Keep his basking areas a little lower and his injury should heal on it's own in time. Keep offering any insect that he might prefer and hopefully he will get his appetite back.

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Thank you for the response!

He had just gotten his appetite back after not eating on his own for months (he actually took some greens from me this morning).

Is there anything else other than injury that could cause this? The vet seems to think that this could be neurological...

It just seems so weird that this randomly popped up days after any fall that I noticed. The rate of deterioration yesterday was also quite rapid as you can see in the videos from my previous post... Again, it is only his left side... does this seem to point towards one diagnosis more than another?

In the meantime, I have "baby-proofed" his tank by putting towels in there and not having any tall objects for him to fall off of.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that he ate a little, hopefully that continues. As for his symptoms, it could be a little of both but I think the limping is more of a physical injury than neurological.

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
It's good that he ate a little, hopefully that continues. As for his symptoms, it could be a little of both but I think the limping is more of a physical injury than neurological.
As of today, his left front arm is completely paralyzed. He drags it when he moves and it is very limp. It was nice out today so I put him in the grass to get some sunshine. I noticed that his paralyzed arm was twitching... Attached is the video. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_3840.MOV
    6.6 MB

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It's good that he got out in the sun today, there's no better source for uv rays ! And my thoughts are just what I mentioned before, that he may have sprained /hurt it while jumping around in the tank. Slight quivering is normal at times, all animals will do that. All the more so if there's a bit of injury or slight nutritional deficiency.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom