should i put this in the ER thread?, beardie beard black after fall for day, more symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.

SupahBeardieFan

i have concerns about my beardie's health and lots of google searches later i cant find a definite cause for her behavior. My beardie was able to wedge herself sideways through a gap, causing her to take a four foot plummet to a hard uneven surface. I have reason to believe she fell on her side rather her stomach. when i retrieved her her beard was black, and i took care of her for the remainder of the day to see if she would lighten her beard, eventually i had to put her to bed but her beard was still black, that night i could not get much sleep and was worrying about her, the next day (had to go to a construction site with my father and was not able to see her till about 3:40 pm) her beard was back to normal, i then took her outside to bask in the little sunlight there was, but after walking around for a bit and climbing on things, her beard turned black again for about an hour, i put her back in her vivarium and her beard continued to be black but eventually subsided, she was on a comfortable cushion.

now to her body: she doesn't have swelling of limbs or reluctance to use them, and no swelling of her abdomen. she doesn't have a kinked spine nor do i see or feel a displaced rib (she doesn't mind me gently feeling her belly), no bleeding from the mouth either, so i don't think she has internal bleeding, while she may have ate some foreign object i doubt it,

behaviors: she is not reluctant to walk around, but i have a feeling she is stressed, aside from the obvious black beard, she didn't move for the approx. 10 hours she was in the cage overnight and into 3pm. she doesn't seem lethargic yet is reluctant to eat, i suspect a broken rib, if you have any knowledge please tell me what the most likely thing my beardie is going through.

now typing this out it doesn't seem horrible, yet an exotic reptile vet is situated in a place where it is hard to get to because of C 19 government restrictions, im deathly worried and any response will be greatly appreciated,

in advance: thank you so so so much

Last edited:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your girl fell like that, but based on your description, it sounds like she didn't injure her spine or have an
internal injury. She could just be sore from the fall. Sometimes after an ordeal such as that, they take awhile
to get over it. Though they are very good at hiding injuries also.
Is the ti p of her tail dark or just her beard?
Try to keep her comfortable in case she does have some pain right now. Watch for obvious signs such as
blood in the stool, limping, vomiting, etc.
I will move this to the ER thread also for more exposure.

Tracie

SupahBeardieFan

Original Poster
Hello,

Sorry your girl fell like that, but based on your description, it sounds like she didn't injure her spine or have an
internal injury. She could just be sore from the fall. Sometimes after an ordeal such as that, they take awhile
to get over it. Though they are very good at hiding injuries also.
Is the ti p of her tail dark or just her beard?
Try to keep her comfortable in case she does have some pain right now. Watch for obvious signs such as
blood in the stool, limping, vomiting, etc.
I will move this to the ER thread also for more exposure.

Tracie
Yes, the tip of her tail blackened coinciding with her beard blackening. Ty for the assurance,

i just thought that having her beard blackening with movement meant she had to have had some internal injury or fracture.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Well, the black beard can definitely indicate some type of pain or distress, absolutely. How is she doing today?

Keep us posted on us.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom