Should I get my Beardy sand for enrichment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActiveOak

I’ve seen about that dragons like to dig in the sand, and it’s got me thinking maybe I should get my girl some sand for enrichment. It wouldn’t be in her tank 24/7, I was thinking like a box of sand I can put in and take out. I’d never put food in it, as I know eating sand is terribly bad for them. So should I go through with this plan?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them enjoy having a dig box like that. Certainly worth a shot. Play sand would work, but if you mix it with some organic topsoil and wet it down slightly it will hold a tunnel shape which is typically done to allow for egg laying - but could be used just to allow for digging/playing. It might get messy though.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try it if you want. I have sand in about half of my tanks. Depends on the dragon IMO. See how they react to it and see if it's something that works for you too.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd recommend against sand , if you must use some , I'd recommended high grade PLAYSAND - it comes from rivers banks and is eroded so has very small surfaces from being tumbled about in the river.

Many Australians who keep dragons swear by PlaySand even for the youngest hatchlings.

I think personally you dragon will enjoy lose eucy bark and twigs and dried eucy leaves much more . No bark or twigs small enough be ingested though so if there are fine particles in the bag , screen it and only allow chunks too big to be swallowed.
I'm lucky - as I have an endless supply of eucy leaves , bark and twigs , that shed from my mature bluegum ( in my front yard ) so all I need do when I need some is step out my front door and down 4 steps and it's all over the lawn ( especially after a period of heavy rain or storms ).

You can try it, but do not have it near any place where you feed your beardie, or they might accidentally inhale some grains, which do not digest. Use a dig box that is away from the feeding areas of the tank so no sand can be inhaled. Unfortunately, I leaned this the hard way and my beardie had to get surgery due to a prolapse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom