Should I get a second Beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farli

Hi,

I realize there's another post about this not too long ago.

I have a female beardie and she is one this month (October). She is actually brumating right now (it's the only reason I can come up with for her current lethargy). But otherwise she is a very healthy, docile, and sweet little girl.

However, I'm at work alot during the day, I really only get to see her in the evening and on weekends. I was wondering if I should get her a friend. I wouldn't want to get her a male I don't think, I'm not sure I'm prepared to deal with a pregnant lizard. But do you think, if I found a similarly mellow beardie, that they could live together harmoniously?

Also how big would my enclosure have to be for 2 beardies?

Thanks!
B

LJean

Extreme Poster
It is generally not recommended to house multiple dragons. Not everyone has luck with housing more than one dragon together. Those who do, I am not sure if the dragons were babies together or how they introduced them. I am really no help here.
There are a few members on this board who house females together. Hopefully they will have some words of wisdom for you.

K9KidsLove

Sub-Adult Member
Hi...I am one of the ones who houses females together. However, all of them were babies together. You would be taking a very bad chance of your dragon hurting a new one. Right now she is queen of the house & they don't share that position easily. It would definitely stress your girl and might end up baadly.

Even with starting my girls together as babies, I had a problem with one of my girls chasing her tank mate & nipping her on her neck. She left a small wound, so I separated them because there have been many instances on here of newbies putting more than one in a tank, and a tail gets chewed off, a foot chewed off, and a few deaths. I wasn't willing to chance that happening.

Just make sure your have a large tank...no smaller than a 40 gallon breeder (18" wide instead of 13") so she can run around. And put a couple of things for her to climb on. She will be better off than with a new kid.
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom