shes moves to much!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatskittles

im tryin to mate my female and male beardies everythings good except when the male bobs his head then get on her back shes not resisting but she jus moves somewhere eles is this bad ?? i need help reply asap plze! :shock: :?: :?:

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
fatskittles":81b67 said:
im tryin to mate my female and male beardies everythings good except when the male bobs his head then get on her back shes not resisting but she jus moves somewhere eles is this bad ?? i need help reply asap plze! :shock: :?: :?:

This is perfectly natural... Sounds like the female is not ready, how old are your two and more importantly what's their size? Have they brumated yet?

Anthony

fatskittles

Original Poster
my male is more than 2 yrs. and my female is 20 months i dont think their to young but im not sure i read that the female has to be @ least 18 mon. explain whats brumating?? is that when you imitate the breeding season?? i was tryin to do that but i couldnt find out how on the internet :blob5:

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
I agree with Anthony. She isn't ready. Brumation isn't something you can do for them. They go into it naturally. It is when their bodies slow down and they literally go to sleep for a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Not all of them do it.

fatskittles

Original Poster
so i cant mate them :( tht sucks cuz i knoo now tht my male is brumating but she isnt so how do i know wen shes ready to mate ??wen she brumated??

ThEOnE

fatskittles":2f1d3 said:
so i cant mate them :( tht sucks cuz i knoo now tht my male is brumating but she isnt so how do i know wen shes ready to mate ??wen she brumated??

Well you could try to simulate her brumating by lowering her cage temps, and feeding her less...Though many do not believe in it due to the fact the people think it's cruel.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
fatskittles":7a670 said:
okay im going to try tht thnx :) what temp should i lower her cage to?

Try a basking temp of 95 degrees, and 10-12 of day light... And see how she responds, if she slows down a lot and begins sleeping a ton just keep up this schedule and don't feed her for 3-5 days then you can turn out the lights for a several weeks or up to a couple of months.

All of my dragons go through a partial brumation in the early fall which last 2-3 weeks, and when winter hits they are down for 2 months... But you should be checking up on them every day to every other day to make sure their health is good. At about the half way point or any point that they have their eyes open I take them out and weight them to make sure they are not loosing weight. A healthy dragon will stay the same weight or even gain weight through brumation... And when you want to bring them out of brumation you slowing turn the lights back on just like turning them off 8-10 at first and then work up to 14 hours a day and 110 basking temp.

Or you can leave their lights on the entire time for 8-10 a day, but I see this as a waste of light/electricity as your dragons are sleeping right through it, so just make sure you cage temps and your house don't drop below 50 degrees. The coldest I've recorded this winter in my dragon room with nearly all of the lights off was 53 degrees at floor level, and that was with a 19 degree low outside... But their internal cage temperatures were right around 60 degrees even at floor level...

There's a lot more to this, this is a very general outline of how one could brumate their dragons, and a lot of hobbiest/breeders do things differently. Over time you just need to become insync with your dragons biological clock and learn what each dragon needs/likes... It's all a learning process/curve, and every dragon is slightly different, so this is where experience comes into play.

Best of luck and I highly suggest buying a book and read it from cover to cover several time and if you forget something refer back to it or just ask the question online. But a book like "The Bearded Dragon Manual" and "Guide to Pogona Vitticeps" are wonderful resources, and then though they are outdated by 5-6 years, they have the basic material that every bearded dragon owner needs to know!

Take care,

Anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom