Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpg
I have a 5 to 6 month old bearded dragon and he has been shedding lately. So far he’s only shed his head arms and tail but his main trunk has not shed it’s very dark and there’s parts of it that I could peel but I’m afraid to peel him. I’ve been giving him soaks and misting him. I am having trouble keeping my humidity up it stays just under 20 most of the time I have two water dishes and I mist the cage regularly.. please help!
3F4B6D03-DA86-4237-8E19-459FB4807A17.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
View attachment 67295 I have a 5 to 6 month old bearded dragon and he has been shedding lately. So far he’s only shed his head arms and tail but his main trunk has not shed it’s very dark and there’s parts of it that I could peel but I’m afraid to peel him. I’ve been giving him soaks and misting him. I am having trouble keeping my humidity up it stays just under 20 most of the time I have two water dishes and I mist the cage regularly.. please help! View attachment 67294
NEVER peel the shed - let it do its thing- when it gets dry and crackly mist him take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the shed - the loose stuff will come off and he will enjoy the scratching - but NEVER peel it - you can damage his scales

Gyrffinthedragon

Original Poster
NEVER peel the shed - let it do its thing- when it gets dry and crackly mist him take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush the shed - the loose stuff will come off and he will enjoy the scratching - but NEVER peel it - you can damage his scales
Crap…. What if I peeled some of them?

Gyrffinthedragon

Original Poster
did it bleed? Please dont do it anymore - he will rub on the decor in your tank or drag his belly on the substrate in the tank if hes shedding on his underneath but let it do its thing -
No bleeding his scales look fine he ended up scraping the rest of his belly off I didn’t peel too much off of his back but when I peeled it it came off really easy it wasn’t tugging and he didn’t seem to be hurt him.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Never peel them. Imagine peeling sunburned skin when its not ready to come off - thats what its like for your dragon. The skin will come off when its ready as long as you have provided your dragon with enough scratching posts.

Peeling it off can cause all sorts of problems - infections and exposing the new skin before it is fully ready

The skin on their back tends to be slightly thicker as it sloughs and although appearing lose could still be firmly fixed in places. Let nature takes it course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom