Shedding issues

ekgep92

Beardie name(s)
Rex
Hey everyone!

My year old bearded dragon is having issues with shedding. I am currently trying to find a new UVB light that fits my fixture, but have been having a difficult time finding the tube size (inside his tank). He sheds in sections and his tail has only partially shed over the course of a month. He has only shed on his legs and beard. My research tells me that is not normal, and I wanted to see if it was a husbandry issue or if he needs to go to the vet? He gets a bath 3 times a week with shedez and I give him water in a dropper and a light misting in the morning. His humidity normally ranges from 35-28% and increases to 45 at night if the dehumidifier is charging. The tank temperature is 102.4. I brought him to the vet about 2 months ago for lethargy and had his blood work done, and she said he was healthy and that he was probably going into brumation, so I know he is not sick. She told me to keep him from brumation by using a ceramic bulb at night because he was too young but the tank temp at night ranges from 71-65 without the added heat. No matter what I have tried: different diet, heat, lighting, and frequency of baths, he is still not fully shedding. He gets calcium with D3 3-4 times a week on his salads, Flukers liquid vitamins every other day, and about 15 crickets every feeding 6 days a week since he is a little overweight. I just wanted to see what else I could do to help him because I do not want him to be uncomfortable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey everyone!

My year old bearded dragon is having issues with shedding. I am currently trying to find a new UVB light that fits my fixture, but have been having a difficult time finding the tube size (inside his tank). He sheds in sections and his tail has only partially shed over the course of a month. He has only shed on his legs and beard. My research tells me that is not normal, and I wanted to see if it was a husbandry issue or if he needs to go to the vet? He gets a bath 3 times a week with shedez and I give him water in a dropper and a light misting in the morning. His humidity normally ranges from 35-28% and increases to 45 at night if the dehumidifier is charging. The tank temperature is 102.4. I brought him to the vet about 2 months ago for lethargy and had his blood work done, and she said he was healthy and that he was probably going into brumation, so I know he is not sick. She told me to keep him from brumation by using a ceramic bulb at night because he was too young but the tank temp at night ranges from 71-65 without the added heat. No matter what I have tried: different diet, heat, lighting, and frequency of baths, he is still not fully shedding. He gets calcium with D3 3-4 times a week on his salads, Flukers liquid vitamins every other day, and about 15 crickets every feeding 6 days a week since he is a little overweight. I just wanted to see what else I could do to help him because I do not want him to be uncomfortable. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Ok so lets address the UVB bulb first -- what size fixture and the brand of the fixture please-- next please lay off the bathing too many baths will dry out the scales --- please let his shedding do its thing - when its dry and crackly spray him then take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush him - it will take off the loose stuff and scratch him at the same time -- next your humidity in the tank helps the dragon w/ shedding - you want optimal humidity of 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% that should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of your tank -- analog gauges are inaccurate -- do not try and stop your dragon from going into brumation if he is a year old and at least 300 grams or over he should be able to brumate unless he is sick --- your dragon should be getting his calcium D3 on his insects you know hes going to eat those and for a year old dragon he should only be getting that 2-3 times per week when you feed insects and if your using a T 5 UVB --- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 times per week on his insects unless he eats his salads good - then you dont need to worry about the vitamins cuz hes gonna get those nutrients thru them -- temps at night in the tank should be 65-75 -- unless he is sick - then you want them warmer and using your ceramic heat emitter - too warm of temps in the tank at night will not let his system metabolize --

ekgep92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Ok so lets address the UVB bulb first -- what size fixture and the brand of the fixture please-- next please lay off the bathing too many baths will dry out the scales --- please let his shedding do its thing - when its dry and crackly spray him then take a soft baby toothbrush and gently brush him - it will take off the loose stuff and scratch him at the same time -- next your humidity in the tank helps the dragon w/ shedding - you want optimal humidity of 40-50% nothing under 20 and over 70% that should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of your tank -- analog gauges are inaccurate -- do not try and stop your dragon from going into brumation if he is a year old and at least 300 grams or over he should be able to brumate unless he is sick --- your dragon should be getting his calcium D3 on his insects you know hes going to eat those and for a year old dragon he should only be getting that 2-3 times per week when you feed insects and if your using a T 5 UVB --- vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 times per week on his insects unless he eats his salads good - then you dont need to worry about the vitamins cuz hes gonna get those nutrients thru them -- temps at night in the tank should be 65-75 -- unless he is sick - then you want them warmer and using your ceramic heat emitter - too warm of temps in the tank at night will not let his system metabolize --
Thank you so much for the advice! I had no idea I was doing so many things wrong! I am a new to reptiles and I got him about 4 months ago so I have been trying to research as much as possible.
I have a 36 inch reptizoo light fixture and use Arcadia T8 10.0. I will try to increase the humidity levels and buy the digital humidity probe today. I have an analog currently but digital probe thermometer to check temps. I will switch his calcium and D3 supplement to his crickets and change to 2-3 times a week protein feedings.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you so much for the advice! I had no idea I was doing so many things wrong! I am a new to reptiles and I got him about 4 months ago so I have been trying to research as much as possible.
I have a 36 inch reptizoo light fixture and use Arcadia T8 10.0. I will try to increase the humidity levels and buy the digital humidity probe today. I have an analog currently but digital probe thermometer to check temps. I will switch his calcium and D3 supplement to his crickets and change to 2-3 times a week protein feedings.
Ok w/ your T 8 you need to have it in the tank and directly above the basking decor 6-8 inches - I recommend you upgrade the fixture to a T 5 or the Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb -- Pet Smart carries this fixture

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Shedding is brought up on the b.d. forums all the time. Although it seems like something's wrong, uneven shedding is not at all dangerous or harmful. Just let it be and it will come off when it's ready, there's nothing to worry about.

ekgep92

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Rex
Shedding is brought up on the b.d. forums all the time. Although it seems like something's wrong, uneven shedding is not at all dangerous or harmful. Just let it be and it will come off when it's ready, there's nothing to worry about.
OK, thank you so much! I feel so much better!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom