shedding at 8 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noellerch

Hi All!
I love this forum,the advice is wonderful for a new bearded dragon owner! We just got our beardie less than a week ago. The past two days he has not really been eating his crickets and now I notice that he is shedding his tail skin. I wasn't expecting him to shed so soon. Is this normal? Is there anything I should do to help the process?

I estimate that he is about 8 weeks old, as he is 7". We got him at Pet Co. and the staff was clueless about age or sex. :?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

syoung27

Hatchling Member
They shed frequently when they're young so don't be alarmed. Mine was from Petsmart, the staff there were also of little help. In fact most information given to me was incredibly wrong.
As for the eating, that could be due to relocation stress. Sometimes they don't eat as much when they're shedding either. Give it some time. Hopefully your crickets are very small.
Try offering some water as well especially during a shed. You can use bottled water to be safe.
Feel free to ask anything else.

HKzForDayz

Sub-Adult Member
Noellerch":2r1ue8jt said:
Hi All!
I love this forum,the advice is wonderful for a new bearded dragon owner! We just got our beardie less than a week ago. The past two days he has not really been eating his crickets and now I notice that he is shedding his tail skin. I wasn't expecting him to shed so soon. Is this normal? Is there anything I should do to help the process?

I estimate that he is about 8 weeks old, as he is 7". We got him at Pet Co. and the staff was clueless about age or sex. :?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

It is quite common for lil fellers to shed quite frequently. One of my babies, I got almost 3 weeks ago and he is in his second shed since ive had him :)

One thing I can tell you firsthand from experience, as I use to be a reptile manager for petco in my younger years, is that when it comes to reptiles they are ALWAYS either A) clueless or B)not allowed to use their info due to corporate policies. IDK how many times my job was threatened for telling customers the proper care guidlines for dragons , despite the fact my store was obviously not adhering to these guidelines.

Because of this, it leads me to greatly wonder what they told you was needed in terms of care.

What size tank is he in? What kind of substrate do you have him on? What type of UVB is he under? Tube or Coil? What brand? How far away is his basking spot from the UVB? What is the surface temp @ his basking spot? what is the temp on the cool side of the tank? How are you recording temps? I seen you are feeding crickets, how many times a day are you offering them? How many are you offering him per feeding?

Sorry for all the questions, however thats the only way for us to give real advice, is if we know as much info as possible. Welcome to the site tho, we would love to see some pics of your lil feller!! Also dont hesitate to ask questions if you have them, that is the primary purpose of this forum is to properly educate both new and experienced beardie parents :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom