She lost her spikes and skin with her shed

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
She started shedding about 3 weeks ago, the wrestler has shed now but the first spot that started is the last one to finish.

On this side of her head she had injured herself about a month-and-a-half ago. Very large swelling in her beard that went away after about 5 days. The vet and others seems to think that it was a blood pocket in there from trauma

Now today, she got some of her shut off but her spikes came off with it, it does not look overly irritated but it does look rather tender

The first couple pictures are the piece that came off, the third photo is of her face now and of the 4th photo is from about 5 days ago. I've been soaking her to help with her shed

Attachments

• 20220427_172413.jpg
    20220427_172413.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 294
  • 20220427_172419.jpg
    20220427_172419.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 158
  • 20220427_172434.jpg
    20220427_172434.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 20220425_164944.jpg
    20220425_164944.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 143

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
She started shedding about 3 weeks ago, the wrestler has shed now but the first spot that started is the last one to finish.

On this side of her head she had injured herself about a month-and-a-half ago. Very large swelling in her beard that went away after about 5 days. The vet and others seems to think that it was a blood pocket in there from trauma

Now today, she got some of her shut off but her spikes came off with it, it does not look overly irritated but it does look rather tender

The first couple pictures are the piece that came off, the third photo is of her face now and of the 4th photo is from about 5 days ago. I've been soaking her to help with her shed
@AHBD

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You can dab some raw honey on there, it's excellent for any type of wound and to keep sheds from clinging to areas like the spikes. Make sure there are no insects loose in the cage anywhere.

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I took some photos of her mouth, I don't think anything looks bad in there. She is active and eating. I warmed some honey and spread it on there
20220425_164939.jpg

Attachments

• 20220425_164937.jpg
    20220425_164937.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220425_164929.jpg
    20220425_164929.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 86

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Should I be overly worried about the Exposed Skin where the spikes got pulled off? So will it scab over or do you think it'll grow back?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The skin/scales should heal up well. As AHBD suggested, raw honey will help a lot. Be sure to
keep it all clean as well, to help with infection.

Tracie

ncc74656

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
should i be worried about the rest of hte skin on there, her scales still have a lot of shed. i dont want to hurt her pulling on it but i dont want it to sit and constrict on more of her spikes either.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The rest of the scales should be fine. You can try putting some aloe vera gel, or coconut oil on
it to help out with shedding.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You should never pull the scales, that will potentially cause damage and is reported here on the forums pretty often. Lingering sheds do no harm at all and are perfectly normal. Somehow people have caused a lot of worry about " stuck shed " when it's actually just taking it's own time. The only time it might be a problem ids if there is a tight band of skin left on a toe ot end of the tail causing restriction in that area.

Hazel_Basil10

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Hazel my female two year old beardie
I agree. You could also use a soft Baby toothbrush and gently rub with it if it looks like stuck shed. Never pull shed off of beardies because it can damage their scales.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it is best not to pull on scales if they aren't already falling off. The underneath skin is thin
& intricate so it can tear easily & become damaged. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom