Sharing about water intake and poop improvement. Correlation? Coincidence?

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn had her annual vet visit last month. I had written her full chemistries and results here on the site. Her Hematocrit being 40%, high value, and her low frequency and inconsistent quality poops being the thing I want to discuss here.

On average poops every 4 days (sans brumation). This is her 2022 data. However, looking at her behavior the poops were often only when getting a bath or running on the floor or being handled. Her 220+ gallon enclosure should be enough space for her to have regular bowel movements from exercise but that is not the case.

Back to this year, I force fed Devlyn, because she will not drink water, 2mL on 4/4, 2mL on 4/6, and 1mL on 4/8. Then she started having perfectly formed poops that were low odor on 4/11, 4/14, 4/16, 4/17, 4/18, and 4/19. Poop frequency increase and quality increase! Foods were not changed. I am so happy she has been pooping without any drama. Usually if she poops by herself she glass surfs like crazy until it is cleaned (probably because they would stink so bad). The low odor poops she just moves away from and basks without the drama. I already give her probiotic which did increase poop quality and reduce odor - but she still had poop drama all 2022.

The force drinking is dribbling water inside her lip, she eventually opens her mouth to allow me to insert water. It is still an aspiration risk, but if she poops regular and is hydrated properly I think the trade off would be worth it. I want her kidneys to pass urates without issue and her new urates have been much smaller as frequency increased. Thoughts? Feedback? She likes swimming, but never drinks. I've seen her drink water once for sure and maybe a sip in a bath another time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as the hydration isn't over hydrating, which would be evident in the bowel movements, hydration is a key aspect of their health.

Although it is not uncommon for older dragons to go long periods in between poos, there is nothing at all wrong with a regular pooing geriatric :D

Sounds like you found something that is improving your life, and Devlyns. Keep it up :)

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
She also had signs of dehydration. Wrinkled skin folds that do not go down and intermittent sunken eyes. She thinks she is a true desert creature who does not drink water, I remind her she is semi-arid but she won't believe me. The hematocrit being high, again, is the proof I needed to make her take water

I give about 0.2mL at a time which she will slurp with some strong encouragement. I only slip the feeding syringe past her lip resting on the teeth, when she starts to drink then I depress the syringe. Not a full on force feeding

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They sure are stubborn creatures lol. It takes me as long to give Zen drink as it does all 4 of the others combined, so i know where your coming from 🙂

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom