Sexing dragons with flashlight?

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
AHBD":1tajexud said:
Yes, sometimes you're just seeing the muscles/tendons on the side. Babies can even often be sexed, watch this video , starting at the 1:30 mark. You have to be very gentle when doing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlwOLEQYmSM

Oh wow, I literally just found that video myself too! Are you secretly me, but cooler? :lol:

He was sexed as a boy when he was listed by the breeder, but breeder couldn't see the bulges just before boxing him (so I presume she had done the tail check test before). I was told sometimes they could "hide" their bits and advised to try the flashlight test after a week (I did it a little sooner, but I had a hard time seeing things as previously mentioned). I wonder which observation is more reliable? And can a beardie who had previously displayed 2 bulges randomly not display them for a while?

And just to be clear, was the "yes" at my first question about both sexes having a pouch behind the vent or just to the muscles/tendons question?

I am probably making way too big a deal over this, so much apologies, asdkfjasd.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh I don't know about any coolness factor, :) But yeah I meant the muscles on the side can look like hemi pene bulges at times. But look closely at the pictures of the adults from the article that I linked .

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Yeah, I saw. :lol:

I appreciate it, but I guess I was just wondering if the males are always flat behind the vent or if it's just the angle (and bigger bulges). I saw in the sexing baby beardies video that the bulges are more circular on them when they're that small, and sometimes I THINK I see mine has similar bulges but the center pouch is what's throwing me off, hence my question if that's something normal at a young age (I've read that everyone looks female when they're very young). Guess if this stays the same by 6 months, I'll know for sure I have a girl. XD

Thanks for all your help!

kayroy824

Can anyone pleaseeee help me sex this this cutie ?
I’m new to the beardy community and I couldn’t get the flashlight method to work for me so I took a picture in hopes for some help. [ximg]109553 285698073[/ximg]

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kayroy, if you want to start a thread and include a few more pics with better light and the tail arched back higher that would help. That pic there is not clear enough. It would be nice for you to start a thread anyway to introduce your little one. :)

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Finally tried again with the flashlight (no photos, tragically because I was out of hands u.u), but THIS TIME I definitely saw the faint silhouettes of "prongs" coming off the center "box"/"bar" (that actually seems to be growing smaller these past few days) that line up with the tiny bulges I'm seeing. Ardie is indeed a boy! :mrgreen:

Thanks to everyone who helped me with this First World Conundrum! :lol:

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Adding on a bit for anyone else like me's benefit, did anyone else notice that on hatchlings and maybe some pre-pubescent males, the hemipenes look more like "Mickey ears" than ovals?

Though on Ardie, his bulges look more like big cat ears while the "Mickey ears" show up on flashlight. Anyone else have this experience?

kayroy824

Can anyone help me with my little dunner ? I believe my baby is a he but I am not sure. I tried with the flashlight but couldn’t get a clear view so these pics are all I have. Any insight will help, thank you in advanced :)
109553-745760529.jpg
109553-1819280251.jpg

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
Does look female, but I feel like I’m seeing very tiny hemipenal bulges at some angles.

Probably worth noting that some males look female at this age because the hemipenes aren’t well-developed. 6-8 months is generally when we’d know for sure, but for the time being, if you think you have a girl, it probably is.

That reminds me, I came across this article that also includes an image of a developing male's bulges, which I hardly see people talk about distinguishing: https://www.lizards101.com/how-to-tell-the-gender-of-a-bearded-dragon-full-guide/

Ardie's bulges presently look like that. Very hard to spot unless you know what you're looking for.

Fourofpi

little_gardener_24":343x12dx said:
I've seen tons of posts about how to sex your dragons by looking for the number of visible bumps, but I came across this site that shows how to sex one using a flashlight. Has anyone else had success with this method? I've put the site link below:

http://imgur.com/r/BeardedDragons/s2OIALb
Yes, I have used this Meathod many times and it works very well in dragons . It can be done when very young and isn’t invasive like probing.

Badwolfe

Hatchling Member
Be aware with the flashlight method that sometimes females can also show two little 'horns' that often fool people into thinking they are a male. As a general rule though these 'horns' tend to be a lot smaller than the hemipenes of a male and often jut out at an angle where as the male hemipenes run parallel up the tail towards the tail tip end

Last edited:

ybr300

I really want to try this but my beardie is only 2 months old, do you think it'd be accurate? Or is it not old enough yet?
I have a bearded dragon and I want to know whether it's a boy or a girl. ... Sexing Bearded Dragons with the aid of a flashlight Feeling Sick

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom