Severely impacted baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qiqqi

My 5 month old is severely impacted, he is not able to pass any stool on his own. Two vet visits and critical care seems to be slowly getting rid of the impaction to a small degree. He seems to be slowly declining and I’m worried he’s not going to make it. If we are able to help him pass the impaction, is there a chance he could recover from it? New beardie owner, so I’m doing all I can think of and what the doctor is instructing us to do. Any current care or after impaction care advice much appreciated!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your dragon is impacted. Do you know what he is impacted from?
What other foods are you giving him? I would recommend adding in some canned pumpkin
or sugar free applesauce with a drop or two of olive or coconut oil. Are you giving a warm
bath daily for him, letting him swim around too?
Severe impactions can definitely affect mobility if it's bad enough to cause full or partial
paralysis. All you can do is continue to help him by keeping him well hydrated, & also boosting
his basking temperatures to 105-110 might help too.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Qiqqi

Original Poster
We had moss in his tank but he ended up eating some. We took it out immediately once we noticed he was but didn’t think it would cause impaction. He’s given warm baths twice daily, sometimes 3 if I am home from work early enough. I did the pumpkin, doesn’t seem to work all too well. I know it’s high in sugar, but I did a small amount of prune juice mixed with olive oil yesterday and it seemed to make him want fo push more frequently. I guess I’m just worried because he seems so malnourished from not getting any protein. Just the critical care and pumpkin every now and again. We got him about 4 months ago, so his lighting is good. We have another one in another tank that’s thriving really well with a similar set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom