• January Photo Competition!
    Gather the best photos of your bearded dragons... the theme for this month is "Goofball beardies!" For details check out the January Photo Compeitition thread.

Severe impaction - what options do we have?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
Hello,

They could not determine anything on the x-ray other than gas? I have not heard of that
either, not really, to where it is built up like that. They think she is impacted? They did not
see any eggs?
Is her beard dark at all? I am not understanding what has impacted her, if there is no tumor?
I would give her a bit more time. Reptile's systems are unique & take time for things to pass
through. What foods other than baby food are you giving? I would try to keep her warmer at
night, around 80 or so, to help with digestion too.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
 

TCHelp

Member
Original Poster
Drache613":37elzx83 said:
Hello,

They could not determine anything on the x-ray other than gas? I have not heard of that
either, not really, to where it is built up like that. They think she is impacted? They did not
see any eggs?
Is her beard dark at all? I am not understanding what has impacted her, if there is no tumor?
I would give her a bit more time. Reptile's systems are unique & take time for things to pass
through. What foods other than baby food are you giving? I would try to keep her warmer at
night, around 80 or so, to help with digestion too.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

When she is in the tank she’s black all over. When we take her out to play she’s happy as a clam and closer to her normal colors (though stress marks are clearly visible on her belly). We are alternating feeding oxbow herbivore intensive care and another brand of omnivore intensive care powdered food with an oral syringe in addition to the plum baby food (both mixed with water and sometimes a little olive oil). She eats it without problem. In her tank she basically doesn’t move and doesn’t even attempt to climb her basking tree any more, though when we take her out she will gladly climb up our torsos.

Based on the heating issues we can only really keep it around 70f at night and that’s with me keeping the heat on pretty high. The final decision is in my partner’s hands since this is their baby, but if she’s in anywhere near the pain the last vet said she might be then I don’t see how waiting is a humane decision.

We also don’t know if there’s a tumor since we couldn’t afford the ultrasound. No vet has given us a promising prognosis even if we could spring for the surgery. The conversation has constantly been about “quality of life.”
 

TCHelp

Member
Original Poster
She does seem to be having some trouble breathing. She’s very calm and she’s lighter than she’s been. We gave her some meal worms and she excitedly went right for them (we know they’re not great for her but wanted to see how she reacted). She also gobbled 6ml of that prune baby food with water, oil, and honey. We don’t know what to do. We’ve made arrangements for tonight (what would be bed time), but we’re still very conflicted. She’s moving less but eating as well as ever. Her breathing stabilized with the meloxicam a bit, but it’s been pretty uneven generally. Big breath here, two small breaths there. Combined with the fact that she won’t run around the bed like normal seem to be pointing in the direction we don’t want it to...
 

TCHelp

Member
Original Poster
We’ve made the call, passing her off in 5 minutes. Appreciate all the help, but with the rapid decline in the last 24 hours this seems like the most humane decision. We have a tattoo consult on Thursday to memorialize and we will scatter her in the field we took her when it was warm. Appreciate the kind words and advice.
 

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Moderator
Hello,

I am so sorry she was declining like this & that you had to put her down. :cry: Losing them
is never easy. So sorry for your loss, she was very well loved.

Tracie
 
Top Bottom