severe emaciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiju

Yesterday I received a surrendered beardie with severe emaciation.

He was on sand, no lights, no idea what he was fed. No mbd or swollen joints present, clean vent and eyes. White gums and tongue.

I soaked him last night and this morning. I force fed soupy carnivore care. He now has UVB and a heat lamp on newspaper.

Here's a picture
https://www.dropbox.com/s/u03g9iicoa14l8x/2016-10-28%2010.28.36.jpg?dl=0

Any other suggestions for balancing his food since CC is so heavy in protein?

Thanks!

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Baby food might be a good idea. Easy to digest and protein might shock his system when he's this emaciated. A good veggie one.

You could also make your own veggie slurry.

Kaiju

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":267pc1oi said:
Baby food might be a good idea. Easy to digest and protein might shock his system when he's this emaciated. A good veggie one.

You could also make your own veggie slurry.

Maybe a pumpkin baby food?

I apologize I'm not familiar with the phrase, but is a slurry a slurpee? XD

Kaiju

Original Poster
SpacialCoogs":28kub7ho said:
Pumpkin might make her poop lots, which at this point i would think wouldn't be great. I would look at squash, peas, or something from this list

http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

A slurry is like a blend of a bunch of stuff. You could do some nice greens and blend them up into a consistency like applesauce.

Can i blend the calcium powder into that too?

Kaiju

Original Poster
Since i have to force feed him, i have no idea when he's "done". D: he seems to hate all of it.

I tried the vet today, but they were booked until next week
:c

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....does he have energy and stand up looking around or would he show interest in bugs right now ? If he has any strength you can offer him softer or smaller insects already, but of course don't let him gorge on them. Keep stress to a minimum, bathe only every few days bot offer water on his snout with a dropper or spray bottle [ a gentle, slow steam or rapid drips ] You can do that while he's ;ying in his tank, drip, stop, repeat....sometimes it taks a minute until they realize it's a drink. Then mop up any excess water. Try not to force the syringe feedings, just drip on his snout. Put a bit of unsweetened fruit juice or unpasteurized honey mixed in with your concoction, he might like the flavor. But yes, offer a few freshly shed or soft insects, he could handle those.

Kaiju

Original Poster
AHBD":1roebcnm said:
Hi there....does he have energy and stand up looking around or would he show interest in bugs right now ? If he has any strength you can offer him softer or smaller insects already, but of course don't let him gorge on them. Keep stress to a minimum, bathe only every few days bot offer water on his snout with a dropper or spray bottle [ a gentle, slow steam or rapid drips ] You can do that while he's ;ying in his tank, drip, stop, repeat....sometimes it taks a minute until they realize it's a drink. Then mop up any excess water. Try not to force the syringe feedings, just drip on his snout. Put a bit of unsweetened fruit juice or unpasteurized honey mixed in with your concoction, he might like the flavor. But yes, offer a few freshly shed or soft insects, he could handle those.

Hi! Thanks for the input!
I tried waxworms, calciworms, and a hornworm today with no luck. he wasn't interested when they're in front of him and when put in his mouth he spat them out. Dripping water worked, but he won't eat on his own.

I can add honey to just water or the slurry?

He did poop this morning. It's pale brown with solid white and pretty big!

EDIT: he's been shaking with tremors on ands off, I think it might be small seizures?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, honey can be added but it must be raw + unpasteurized. That kind has lots of vitamins + beneficial enzymes [ raw] that would be killed off during pasteurization. Just add a few drops mixed with a bit of warm water [ to thin it out if need be ] This is just a suggestion to see if he likes it enough to mix it with other soft foods to get him to eat.

Kaiju

Original Poster
Ok, long post!

The vet did blood work, looks like it might be an infection of the kidneys. We're treating it aggressively with special food, lots of water and meds.

Sadly we're only 50/50 on him making it. :c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom