Set-up and advice

Reiju

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yamato
Hi all new member here. My baby is a few months old and I want to make sure she is going to be healthy. Concerned about her lighting and temps.

Breeder who I got Yamato from told me a Arcadia 80w DHP was sufficient for heating the basking spot and that I didn't need a basking bulb. I since swapped to 100w Reptile One Day Bulb and am only using the DHP at night as its getting cold at the moment.

Currently concerned as she keeps leaving her basking spot to go and hide behind the fake plant and is very sleepy.

All info is in my profile. I would really appreciate any help that can be provided 🙏

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Hi all new member here. My baby is a few months old and I want to make sure she is going to be healthy. Concerned about her lighting and temps.

Breeder who I got Yamato from told me a Arcadia 80w DHP was sufficient for heating the basking spot and that I didn't need a basking bulb. I since swapped to 100w Reptile One Day Bulb and am only using the DHP at night as its getting cold at the moment.

Currently concerned as she keeps leaving her basking spot to go and hide behind the fake plant and is very sleepy.

All info is in my profile. I would really appreciate any help that can be provided 🙏
The description I was reading about the Arcadia 80w DHP and 100w Reptile One Day Bulb states that it provides heat for bearded dragons as well as sun rays. Maybe you should get two different types of lights (UVA and UVB). Your temperatures are too low. Right now I use two URS Infrared Spot Lamps and one Exo Terra Reptile Uvb150 Desert Bulb 26w.

Last edited:

Axil

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Beebz
From your profile it looks like the basking temps are a little low. You want 105-110f for babies. Your IR gun is likely reading incorrectly off the hammock though so you need to get a digital probe and drop it under the center of your basking light.

I would confirm your warm and cool side temps with the probe as well. They are not very expensive it's easiest to get 2 and leave one on the cool side one on the warm side you move to the basking area to check it occasionally. Do make sure you give it time to heat up though. My probe will drift up for 20min or so before giving me a stable basking temp.

The 14% uvb is a powerful bulb and without a uv meter it's hard to know if it's providing too much uvb and causing her to hide from it. Or if the screen is filtering out too much. This is from Arcadia's website.
****CAUTION- More is not always better! The 14% bulb is not recommended for close distance (on top of a cage) use as it may be too much UV for most species. This bulb is designed to be used at greater distances over larger areas than the lower output bulbs. Ideally the UV output is dialed in with a UV meter in these circumstances.

You might see an improvement if you swap to an arcadia 12% and drop the fixture into the enclosure 12-15in from the basking location.

Last edited:

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The description I was reading about the Arcadia 80w DHP and 100w Reptile One Day Bulb states that it provides heat for bearded dragons as well as sun rays. Maybe you should get two different types of lights (UVA and UVB). Your temperatures are too low. Right now I use two URS Infrared Spot Lamps and one Exo Terra Reptile Uvb150 Desert Bulb 26w.
@nikkid please get rid of the coil uvb to they are no good and will cause all kinds of health issues-you need a long tube fixture-- I am gonna post for original posted - daytime bulbs have a neoyodium coating please get a flukers basking or a exo Terra intense or a Arcadia halogen--

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I'm using Arcadia T5 Pro 14% 24w UVB
This a very strong bulb and needs distance unobstructed 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor - if your tank is 18 inches tall it would need to be strapped to the top of the screen inside for a fine mesh - if it's a wide holed distance would be different
If you want more options for UVB's please ask I will post 2 more -- you want two digital probe thermometers one for the surface basking temps and one for the cool side

Last edited:

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
@nikkid please get rid of the coil uvb to they are no good and will cause all kinds of health issues-you need a long tube fixture-- I am gonna post for original posted - daytime bulbs have a neoyodium coating please get a flukers basking or a exo Terra intense or a Arcadia halogen--
I am not to sure how I would be able to do that because those bulbs that you suggested don’t fit in the place where you screw the lights in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am not to sure how I would be able to do that because those bulbs that you suggested don’t fit in the place where you screw the lights in.
Please post a pic of your tank - the uvb is a long tube fixture-- it needs to go inside the tank if your screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or if it's a wide holed type it can sit on top - the uvb is not a bulb that goes into a dome - those uvb's are no good and at this time your dragon is not getting any uvb

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Please post a pic of your tank - the uvb is a long tube fixture-- it needs to go inside the tank if your screen on the tank is a fine mesh like a screen door or if it's a wide holed type it can sit on top - the uvb is not a bulb that goes into a dome - those uvb's are no good and at this time your dragon is not getting any uvb

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
If you click on my profile I have photos on it and maybe we should have a conversation with each other not on someone’s else post

Reiju

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Yamato
This a very strong bulb and needs distance unobstructed 17-18 inches directly above the basking decor - if your tank is 18 inches tall it would need to be strapped to the top of the screen inside for a fine mesh - if it's a wide holed distance would be different
If you want more options for UVB's please ask I will post 2 more -- you want two digital probe thermometers one for the surface basking temps and one for the cool side
What would you suggest for basking/warm side to get temps up? I'm I aus so if you have suggestions for Arcadia, ExoTerra, Reptile One primarily that would be awesome

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What would you suggest for basking/warm side to get temps up? I'm I aus so if you have suggestions for Arcadia, ExoTerra, Reptile One primarily that would be awesome
Are you asking about wattage of bulbs- those are trial and error -- what are you using now for a wattage and how are you getting those temps? It needs to be w/ a digital probe thermometer -- Zoo Med makes the thermometer or something similar to -- here are two more links for UVB's but if you have the Arcadia fixture already just swap your 14% bulb to the 12% bulb you dont need another fixture the one you have will take the 12% bulb - if you still want the other UVB links I will post but you already have a good fixture -- you would need a distance of 12-15 inches in the tank directly over your basking decor piece-- Basking bulbs Exo Terra Intense -- Arcadia halogen or Flukers basking bulb

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom