Separating bearded dragons before breeding PROBLEM!!! HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitpaid32

Hi all

Ok here's my problem. I have a pair of Beardys, male and female. They are about 9-10 oz each and have been raised together for just about 2 years. I have recently noticed breeding behavior. The male is head bobbing and the female is arm waving. They may have even mated because i see some scars on the females neck. I know they are underweight for breeding especially the female. I originally wanted to fatten them up and breed them early 09. I had separated both the Male and female into separate cages but after a week of doing so both of them seemed to stop eating and were very sluggish and aggressive. I was concerned that the beardys were withering away as they both lost a considerable amount of weight so i moved them back into their original cage together. They were automatically better ( more energy and eating_) directly after they were placed back. Almost instantly the male began trying to court the female. I didnt want the female to get pregnant at her weight so i moved her to the separate cage and left the male. The same thing happened, the female stopped eating and was not active at all. she again lost weight and was aggressive. I ended up putting her back in with the male and she was fine again. Is this normal behavior????? How can i separate them and have them live apart successfully??? it almost seems like they need each other or one or the other gets stressed out.

Also i am almost convinced they mated at least once. don't know if the female is gravid but if she is, will she be ok at her weight??????

Thanks to all who read.
hope to hear some responses

Eric

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Relocation Stress is natural.

They are going through change, it will last about 1-2 weeks. Like you said they are too young to breed which can cause many health problems in the female, which could lead to death. If you separate them they will go through relocation stress but you jsut need to last it out and it will all turn back to normal.

gitpaid32

Original Poster
i figured it was relocation stress. They were separated for 3 weeks which is why i got concerned. the Male that got moved and wasnt acclimated after 3 weeks. i'll try again and just wait longer.

If the female is gravid will she be ok???
what can i do to help her????
i'm almost sure they mated. she has scars on her neck.

Poisoned1

Gray-bearded Member
Keep an eye on her, try give her a little extra calcium to be on the safe side. Make sure she is wel fed, and well hydrated. Daily baths work well.

Also if you see signs of scratching, get her a lay box.

SunshineLollipop

Hatchling Member
Hi :) I've noticed with my females that when they're gravid, for those first 2 wks they're at their hungriest, so hopefully she'll settle in quickly & start eating again. Once she starts, let her eat as much as she can, she should be ravenous. Have also noticed if the conditions aren't quite right or they haven't eaten as much as they should, they go longer than the 20 - 25 days it takes. Just keep a really good eye on her though as the eggs take the calcium from her if she's not getting enuf to eat - maybe look at the babyfood suggestions they have on here to get her fattened up as well, especially seeing she's not eating and is skinny to start with. Am imagining all your heat & UV are right as well as this is really important with her calcium intake. Also if she doesn't start eating in the next 2 days, I'd be looking at getting her to a vet to make sure her bloods are alright. Let us know how she's getting on. If she doesn't start eating, don't put her back in with the male as if she's not by chance gravid now, the risk gets higher. Good luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom