Self mutilation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
wow, poor little girl. I'm glad it's not any worse than it is. Thanks for the update. I'm glad you figured out what the problem was.

reptilegyrl

Sub-Adult Member
ur such a good beardie parent! So glad u had her checked out and got meds for her...also glad no calcium deficiency!
Keep us updated on her progress pls!

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Poor wee thing. What a good bd parent, as someone else said! Glad you have answers and a course of direction. I hope she/he starts feeling better soon!

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
It's very good to hear that there's a possibilty she wasn't just eating herself, and was just biting due to the pain. Hopefully it was that and Tanz won't do anything of the sort ever again! It's good that you got her on her meds, and she'll be back up and better in no time! Also, don't feel bad about Tanzanite having a nub-tail. Fiz was a smaller baby and had suffered from nips about a centimeter up the tip of his tail. I had had him for a week and a half then, and I was handling him and the tip just broke off! No blood, no oozing, just a clean break. It's been two more weeks and no infection has dubbed, so I'm taking that he's okay! when it fell off I just applied Neosporin daily until it looked healed up. I think nubs are cool, y'know, shows personality (;

KBenker

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, not that good a beardie mom or I would have kept a closer eye on that tail. Made a run to Petco today for some bene-bac, Tanzanite is not wanting to eat. For the whole day, she's consumed 1 medium dubia, 2 small reptiworms and one piece of mustard green. She get 3 different medicines in the afternoon (antibiotic, pain, calcium) and it's not easy to get all this into her - we're only on day 2 of her pain meds, 8 more days to go!

Karin

reptilegyrl

Sub-Adult Member
You poor thing!! :cry: Im so sorry u and ur lil one r having to go through this! just take it one day at a time and give her lots of love and medicine! ((HUGS))

Esther19

BD.org Addict
You are a good beardie mom! And staying hydrated is more important than eating. See if she will take a little water dropped onto her nose with a syringe. If not, add a little non-sweetened juice to the water. Mine likes apple. I've heard that cherry works well, too. Might wash the medicine down. Good luck!
Esther

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
How has she done today with her medicine? Has she eaten at all?

Sorry for me bugging your for updates, but we're all hooked on Tanzanite right now!!!

All my hope goes out to you & Tanz.

KBenker

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I gave her bene-bac yesterday afternoon and this morning, to "wash" down the medicine. She showed no interest in the dubia, but ended up eating about 10 small reptiworms later on. Made a mess of her salad - it's scattered around. I'm fixing to giver her a bath. At least the swelling and discoloration on her hand is not getting worse and the tail has become more flexible since I've been putting ointment on it after bath and at bedtime.

Karin

ez2bbad64

Juvie Member
i had a beardie who was on antibiotics and pain meds. she was on one called metcam and it really seemed to put her off food. i have found what seems to help are foods like yogurt. i think in my beardies case it was a combo of the antibiotics and the pain meds effecting the gut flora. i fed mine activia yogurt with a syringe and it really seems to help. i do the same thing for my dogs when they are on meds. my horses i give probios too that is sorta like yogurt with the live stuff in it but much stronger since it would take way too much yogurt to make a difference to a horse!lol.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
It's good that she's eating though, even if it is just little repti worms. How about Carnivore Care? Is that okay to give when you're giving medication? It's just a supplement to help her get energy and stay a bit healthy when she's not eating. I'd ask the vet if it would be okay to give Carnivore Care to her while she's on the meds. Carnivore Care works wonders for Beardies who are at a loss of an appetite. It gives them an energy boost and keeps them functioning! Not sure if you've tried it but it's a liquid and it comes with a syringe to be syringe-fed. (No needle of course)

Kalyn876

Sub-Adult Member
When you are giving antibiotics and probiotics make sure to give on in the morning and the other early evening, this way they won't counteract eachother.

Dairy is not good for beardies so if you do pickup yogurt make sure it's soy with no dairy. I think the benebac is good enough for a probiotic.

Kalyn

warnisha

Juvie Member
Poor girl!!!!! You are an awesome mommy!!! Don't even think twice about that! You are doing everything in your power for her! I am impressed! Glad she seems to be healing though and that it was probably the pain doing this! At least she's good otherwise!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom