Seizure...Stroke?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
What a sweet face and a look of " what now ? " :) She looks good but a little underweight, understandable after laying eggs. Hopefully increasing the insects along with the smoothies will help her gain weight. How long will she be getting injections ?
AHBD, she has actually gained about 25 grams already, so you can imagine her state prior. Injections just started today and will continue for a month.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks so cute, thanks for the pictures.
I agree, the white blood cell counts are not too bad really. The CPK levels can be elevated
simply due to stress from the tail stick.
Glucose levels actually are pretty normal so that is positive news. Hopefully it isn't cancer or
anything nefarious going on.
The uric acid levels look good as well, along with good ranges of AST (liver enzymes) so it
seems that her kidneys & liver are functioning normally at the moment.
Sometimes when they get older, their nutritional needs change or they just don't absorb their
calcium, etc as well as they did when they were younger.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
So today while checking on Littlefoot, I found her on her side, and she could not or did not right herself. I put her on her side a few minutes later as a test, and again she would not right herself, she did not even try.

She has been having gait troubles for quite some time, since about late 2018, and if she flipped herself over, she could not right herself when on her back, but on her side?,; I mean I figured she could do that. She was not even trying.

She is eating quite a bit, and as I say, I am letting her eat all the bugs she wants now. I am giving her the injections and I assume this is not going to help with gait issues. I feel that this latest incident just furthers the concern that this is a neurological issue. I would have no idea what would cause this or if there was something I could have done to prevent this.

It is strange as she would seem otherwise normal, her appetite is good, she is in shed, her color is good, no black bearding. The other other thing is that despite what she eats she seems to not be gaining much weight, which is odd. She is not losing, but she is not gaining very well overall either. Despite eating everyday for the last 2 months, she remains at about 405-410 grams.

I am at a crossroads here, do I keep trying with the antibiotics, or do I make a decision to let her go. It is hard, as I do not want her to go, but the other part of me is very worried about her overall well being.

Lizards should try to right themselves...right? This is very concerning.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I feel so bad for you both, i guess for me it would come down to if she is in pain. If not i would do my best, if so i would ultimately probably let her go.
What a chitty situation.

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I feel so bad for you both, i guess for me it would come down to if she is in pain. If not i would do my best, if so i would ultimately probably let her go.
What a chitty situation.
The thing is she does not seem to be in pain. She is otherwise normal, so it is weird. I tried again to lay her on her side and she actually did right herself this time. I am at a loss.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
My experience with sick beardies is pretty limited, i wish i had some good advise for you but i don't know either.
If she isn't in pain i feel like i would keep trying. Ultimately though you have to do what you think is humane, you are there with her, you see what the rest of us can't.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is definitely concerning, but interesting in the fact that she doesn't seem to be in any
pain since she isn't showing any black bearding, etc.
Neurological issues are so hard to figure out. They are positive she doesn't have any bone
issues? It seems like a stroke or heart attack are the most likely cause.
I don't think it's anything you did or didn't do, unfortunately sometimes bad luck happens. I
hate situations like this because it is so heart breaking for you both.
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, if she's a willing eater and not in pain I would think it's kind of like an elderly person that goes through dizzy spells, off balance but is otherwise doing O.K.
I think if she gets bad enough you'll know. I know it's difficult and my heart goes out to you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope she is having a great day today!
She couldn't be in any better hands, than, with you. I realize how emotionally turbulent these
situations are & we are all here for you!

Tracie

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
First, thank you all for your support. Littlefoot is hanging in there. She still has twitches, in her toes and in her muscles throughout her body every now and then, but so far, no seizures.

Now, I am trying to get her to gain some weight. I have added bugs daily to about 7 to 9 mls of slurry vegtable. But most things I read say to increase feedings similar to feeding a baby with 2 to 3 bug meals a day. I could definitely do this, she seems very hungry. I just fed her about 50 phoenix worms and she wanted more! I want to do everything I can for her without causing more issues. My question is, do you think it would be safe to do this for her over the next few weeks, and if so, is there anything I can do additionally to counter phospherous and protein build up?

Her weight is anywhere from 395 grams to 410 grams. It fluctuates quite a bit. But despite feeding her 7 days per week with more slurry volume she just seems to maintain at this point.

Attachments

• 20220723_121658.jpg
    20220723_121658.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220723_121707.jpg
    20220723_121707.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 80

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think that feeding her insects several times a day is a good idea, she's got the appetite so go right ahead. Do as much research as you can on that particular calcium /phosphorus ratio problem and what type + method of calcium supplementation and insects are the best.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks great there, very good colors. The hornworms & silkworms naturally have a pretty
good balance of calcium to phosphorus in them. The feed is well balanced.
I would give calcium several times weekly though along with the insects, to help with her
imbalances right now.
I don't think feeding her a few times daily, would be stressful especially if she is receptive.

Tracie

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom