Seagrass hammock strong smell?

Sulitlana

Original Poster
I have two seagrass hammocks I bought in the past that I want to incorporate into the tank now that I am putting back things after the coccidia spell. Because of not having an oven I wasn't able to bake them to sanitize, instead I boiled them in repti- safe water. My deal is, the tannins that leached out in the process made the hammocks natural smell come out pretty strong, like the grassy/hay smell. IT may be because they are still a bit damp, but I know that beardies can have trouble with cedar and aromatic woods, so I was wondering if any experienced owners though that this could potentially be an issue as well?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard of seagrass being a problem, though their encounters with it may be limited. I'd imagine the smell will dissipate with time and once they are dry. The heat should have taken care of the coccidia, so I'd just check back on them in a week and see if the smell has lessened.

Sulitlana

Original Poster
I haven't heard of seagrass being a problem, though their encounters with it may be limited. I'd imagine the smell will dissipate with time and once they are dry. The heat should have taken care of the coccidia, so I'd just check back on them in a week and see if the smell has lessened.
Sorry it has been a bit, but thank you so much!

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom