Scooter’s Welcome

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Olive
This is my new bearded dragon Scooter who turned more into a rescue than a rehoming. He’s 2.5 years old!

Scooter’s owner wasn’t super knowledgeable about this species… he had been giving him calcium powder but no multivitamin. Also no greens from what it looked like. He’s also been on a coil uvb his entire life… unfortunately the coil was too far away for scooter to reach.

When I got there, he looked different from Olive. I thought it was a male vs. Female thing at first before remembering the symptoms of MBD. His bottom lip juts out and the tip of his tongue is in a perpetual blep. Something was off to me about the way he sat too. He reaches his back legs up toward his front ones a lot. I also commented about his ‘sausage fingers’.

We’re off to the vet on Monday but I did a few things right away!
1.) clipped his nails for the first time in 2.5 years. He did so well and let me dremel them too!
2.) A bath. He sat and took long drinks and then pooped dry feces with no urate. No wonder he was thirsty.
3.) Fed him a small package of silkworms doused in calcium and multivitamins. Gave him however many he wanted despite that i think he’s a tad overweight (his tail looks a bit like a gecko’s)
4.) Gave him Olive’s lights since Tuesday the pet store was closed.

Also his basking light went out an hour before I picked him up :,)

He’s gorgeous and such a sweet heart… My goal is not for him to just simply live, but thrive.

Welcome home, Scoot scoot.

Attachments

• D17C9EE1-D56E-4646-9CDD-92D8A7EC8976.jpeg
    D17C9EE1-D56E-4646-9CDD-92D8A7EC8976.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 8A442160-9D14-4910-A34C-0B450D3571C8.jpeg
    8A442160-9D14-4910-A34C-0B450D3571C8.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 6E54875A-675F-4931-8756-6E01186B82A1.jpeg
    6E54875A-675F-4931-8756-6E01186B82A1.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 46E2F980-3188-41DF-BF95-AFF0D18B6B25.jpeg
    46E2F980-3188-41DF-BF95-AFF0D18B6B25.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 64
  • F25D5F5B-0D5A-48C1-9EE2-10E9DC8D494E.jpeg
    F25D5F5B-0D5A-48C1-9EE2-10E9DC8D494E.jpeg
    131.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 62627DE5-678B-4898-9E9B-C375CDE5971D.jpeg
    62627DE5-678B-4898-9E9B-C375CDE5971D.jpeg
    266.9 KB · Views: 63
  • D2FE1895-41B4-4129-AD78-104B7BAD6F84.jpeg
    D2FE1895-41B4-4129-AD78-104B7BAD6F84.jpeg
    199.6 KB · Views: 70

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
Forgot to mention that he’s missing a claw because of the green mesh hammock his owner had for him… please don’t use those. The ones that look like wood are far better because they tend to break first rather than your lizard’s claw

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Welcome Scooter!!!!!
I hate when they are neglected, but it warms my heart when good people rescue them. Now he can have the love he deserved all along!!!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is my new bearded dragon Scooter who turned more into a rescue than a rehoming. He’s 2.5 years old!

Scooter’s owner wasn’t super knowledgeable about this species… he had been giving him calcium powder but no multivitamin. Also no greens from what it looked like. He’s also been on a coil uvb his entire life… unfortunately the coil was too far away for scooter to reach.

When I got there, he looked different from Olive. I thought it was a male vs. Female thing at first before remembering the symptoms of MBD. His bottom lip juts out and the tip of his tongue is in a perpetual blep. Something was off to me about the way he sat too. He reaches his back legs up toward his front ones a lot. I also commented about his ‘sausage fingers’.

We’re off to the vet on Monday but I did a few things right away!
1.) clipped his nails for the first time in 2.5 years. He did so well and let me dremel them too!
2.) A bath. He sat and took long drinks and then pooped dry feces with no urate. No wonder he was thirsty.
3.) Fed him a small package of silkworms doused in calcium and multivitamins. Gave him however many he wanted despite that i think he’s a tad overweight (his tail looks a bit like a gecko’s)
4.) Gave him Olive’s lights since Tuesday the pet store was closed.

Also his basking light went out an hour before I picked him up :,)

He’s gorgeous and such a sweet heart… My goal is not for him to just simply live, but thrive.

Welcome home, Scoot scoot.
poor Scooter --- what kind of UVB did you get for him and where do you have it placed for the tank -- he is definitely showing signs of MBD --- we can only provide the best for him at this point and hopefully he will start to bounce back w/ not getting to where he should be obviously -- but at least you know hes not going to get any worse now -- I am surprised hes lasted this long w/ no UVB --

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
poor Scooter --- what kind of UVB did you get for him and where do you have it placed for the tank -- he is definitely showing signs of MBD --- we can only provide the best for him at this point and hopefully he will start to bounce back w/ not getting to where he should be obviously -- but at least you know hes not going to get any worse now -- I am surprised hes lasted this long w/ no UVB --

I have the t5 hood with the 10.0 bulbs. I placed it on top but stacked his hides so he can get within 8” of it. I am contemplating zip tying it to the inside. The vet appointment is on Monday to see how much he has declined. He’s such a sweetheart!

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
I have the t5 hood with the 10.0 bulbs. I placed it on top but stacked his hides so he can get within 8” of it. I am contemplating zip tying it to the inside. The vet appointment is on Monday to see how much he has declined. He’s such a sweetheart!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 56

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the screen is a wide hole so it can stay on top but you might want to move it inside the tank distance would be 12-15 inches then - the 8" on top is good but w/ his MBD he might benefit better being inside the tank

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
Ok the screen is a wide hole so it can stay on top but you might want to move it inside the tank distance would be 12-15 inches then - the 8" on top is good but w/ his MBD he might benefit better being inside the tank
Didn’t have zipties but this is better than nothing right now !!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 68

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
And your distance is ? And is it directly above him?
I have more driftwood! He also has been sitting under the light constantly since I brought him home…. Is it a good idea to mess up his sleep schedule and keep the uvb on all night?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 51

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have more driftwood! He also has been sitting under the light constantly since I brought him home…. Is it a good idea to mess up his sleep schedule and keep the uvb on all night?
I would lower his log under the UVB its too close for 8" -- try getting 12" and please do not leave the lights or UVB on all night shut it off - get him on a schedule - photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - winter hrs can be shorter -- watch his behavior the next few days -- his colors should start to pop -- appetite will increase- he should have good poops-- I would start dusting his insects w/ calcium D3 and I am not sure how many times per feeding you should do that so we need to ask Tracie the vet tech and see what she recommends
@Drache613

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
I would lower his log under the UVB its too close for 8" -- try getting 12" and please do not leave the lights or UVB on all night shut it off - get him on a schedule - photo period 12 hrs on and 12 hrs off - winter hrs can be shorter -- watch his behavior the next few days -- his colors should start to pop -- appetite will increase- he should have good poops-- I would start dusting his insects w/ calcium D3 and I am not sure how many times per feeding you should do that so we need to ask Tracie the vet tech and see what she recommends
@Drache613
I’ll adjust the logs for him!! Thank you! I am gonna be bringing him in to a trusted vet soon too so they can look at him in person

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Great job ! Looks like Scooter has a good home finally. One little suggestion is to hold back on heavy feedings to avoid the chance of him over eating and even vomiting. It probably won't happen but it's good to keep in mind.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom