Scooter’s Story (A MBD case)

I’m starting this thread to document Scooter’s story and progress!

He is 2.5 Years old and never had a t5 fixture nor even a 10.0 UVB light. His was a coil that was set above the tank about 2 feet above where he could reach. Right when I saw him, I knew something was off.

The vet appointment is on Monday but I am 100% sure he has MBD. It’s debatable about how far progressed plus if he has other concerns.

Symptoms to date;
1.) raises fingers slowly and lowers them in a manner that seems non-voluntary.
2.) has a underbite that dries out the tip of his tongue
3.) dislikes moving around (looks like his joints are swollen and so are his fingers)
4.) sits funny with his back legs stretched up to his front paws sometimes.
5.) sunken in eyes
6.) made a weird hiccuping sound during bath time (maybe a true hiccup after drinking water too fast actually.. since he hasn’t done it since)

I will update with more information after his vet visit on Monday. I am not looking for more advice at this time since I have already gotten so much and I think we’re on the right track <3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 48

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
You mentioned that he raises his toes up, that is pretty common, several of mine do that when i approach their habitat. It's almost like it is in anticipation of interaction with them.

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
You mentioned that he raises his toes up, that is pretty common, several of mine do that when i approach their habitat. It's almost like it is in anticipation of interaction with them.
They raise their toes and will keep them there to cool off. However, his will keep moving. Like… I’ll be sitting there and he looks like he’s making air biscuits. Someone once told me that they call it ‘Alzheimer fingers’ because they can’t control their joints voluntarily.

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
They raise their toes and will keep them there to cool off. However, his will keep moving. Like… I’ll be sitting there and he looks like he’s making air biscuits. Someone once told me that they call it ‘Alzheimer fingers’ because they can’t control their joints voluntarily.
^^^ but please correct me again if I was misinformed.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
He might be doing something different than mine. Mine will raise theres kind of quick then slowly lower them, usually they just do it once but sometimes they will do it a couple times. The only time i ever see them do it though is when they think they are getting out.

Undrcoverglitch

Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Olive
Update on Scooter. I waited to update this thread until blood work was done.

At the visit;
- Learned that Scooter is a she, so I’ll be addressing her as Skedora from now on :D
- sent off bloodwork
- the vet checked each toe and joint and said that they feel okay as of that moment. Initial thoughts were that she was done metabolising her bones.
- my husbandry and diet was gone through and was cleared by the vet.

Today I got the phonecall
- Elevated levels of calcium, phosphorus, and something else I forgot the name of show that she is currently experiencing Metabolic Bone Disease.
- Vet is looking for calcitonin shots that are affordable and can come in soon.
- elevated levels of something beginning with a T(?) also told them that she was starved for a period in her life.
- I was told to hang tight and keep with my current plans…

I looked up prices and I am baffled that 2 ml of Calcitonin is $3,000 and I’m hoping I’m wrong

But, in general, Skedora has been amazing!! She runs and hunts cockroaches on protein day… she loves shuffling over her bridge… also, she hates blueberries. Like. Will wipe her mouth off on the ground.

Her color has also been coming in more beautifully. A peachy orange that turns tangerine when she’s excited <3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 41

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
She is a very pretty girl. You can see the mbd in her face a little, it's tragic what ignorant people do to these little guys, it's super easy to educate one's self, but people just won't do it. It's heartbreaking. But at least she is in a good home now. Her best days are ahead not behind.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bert_L
Top Bottom