Scarlett is positive for parasites, acting incredibly lethargic and won’t eat/poop.

Krissy_p

Beardie name(s)
John McClane
Hi all,

My beardie is 12 months. We’ve had her for just over a week. She had runny diarrhea yesterday morning, so I took her to the vet. First, I found out she’s a she (we were told male when we adopted haha). But turns out she has a higher than normal level of pinworms, giardia and coccidia. We now have her on meds (every 48 hours for 3 doses). She still has not had a poop in 5 days (other than a very small amount of diarrhea yesterday). She’s also incredibly lethargic and barely eating. She had a tiny bit of greens yesterday and 2 dubias. Today she won’t touch her greens at all.

She’s currently in a 40g (not putting her in her upgrade until she’s worm free). Basking site right around 99, warm side at 90 and cool side 77. Her 12% Arcadia tube is on her basking side above the mesh.
This is my first bearded dragon and I want to make sure I’m doing right by her. Is having parasites the likely reason she’s acting so lethargic and not eating? And also not pooping? The vet said she looked good, so I don’t want to overreact and freak out, but her lethargy and unwillingness to eat is really worrying me. She still has two doses left of her medicine. Should I bother her while she’s sick and give her a bath so that hopefully she will poop? Or should I just leave her alone for a while? She spent all day asleep on her basking site today and just now crawled down into her hide to continue sleeping.

Attachments

• F012DF92-9BBE-4E80-B671-51A8A2AD2443.jpeg
    F012DF92-9BBE-4E80-B671-51A8A2AD2443.jpeg
    330.9 KB · Views: 80
  • 1D6E4792-E1CA-4342-97E6-5592F8534558.jpeg
    1D6E4792-E1CA-4342-97E6-5592F8534558.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 58

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi all,

My beardie is 12 months. We’ve had her for just over a week. She had runny diarrhea yesterday morning, so I took her to the vet. First, I found out she’s a she (we were told male when we adopted haha). But turns out she has a higher than normal level of pinworms, giardia and coccidia. We now have her on meds (every 48 hours for 3 doses). She still has not had a poop in 5 days (other than a very small amount of diarrhea yesterday). She’s also incredibly lethargic and barely eating. She had a tiny bit of greens yesterday and 2 dubias. Today she won’t touch her greens at all.

She’s currently in a 40g (not putting her in her upgrade until she’s worm free). Basking site right around 99, warm side at 90 and cool side 77. Her 12% Arcadia tube is on her basking side above the mesh.
This is my first bearded dragon and I want to make sure I’m doing right by her. Is having parasites the likely reason she’s acting so lethargic and not eating? And also not pooping? The vet said she looked good, so I don’t want to overreact and freak out, but her lethargy and unwillingness to eat is really worrying me. She still has two doses left of her medicine. Should I bother her while she’s sick and give her a bath so that hopefully she will poop? Or should I just leave her alone for a while? She spent all day asleep on her basking site today and just now crawled down into her hide to continue sleeping.
She's going thru relocation stress- that and the meds will effect the appetite - make sure your keeping her hydrated - please post a pic of your screen - this will determine the placement and distance for your uvb - keep an eye on her weight - weigh on a kitchen food scale- in grams-

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
She's going thru relocation stress- that and the meds will effect the appetite - make sure your keeping her hydrated - please post a pic of your screen - this will determine the placement and distance for your uvb - keep an eye on her weight - weigh on a kitchen food scale- in grams-
Thank you! I figured she was going through some relocation issues too. I will attach my screen pics here also. The tube Uvb is placed on the same side as basking in the back.

Attachments

• B1D9378A-263D-4098-8087-3517A3AD0787.jpeg
    B1D9378A-263D-4098-8087-3517A3AD0787.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 040BBD31-B983-423D-9093-91FF230BF5FC.jpeg
    040BBD31-B983-423D-9093-91FF230BF5FC.jpeg
    300 KB · Views: 53

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you! I figured she was going through some relocation issues too. I will attach my screen pics here also. The tube Uvb is placed on the same side as basking in the back.
Ok she needs to be able to get directly under the UVB and distance should be 8-10 inches -- so w/ good UVB and good surface basking temps she should come around - her appetite is going to be off tho- lets hope she starts eating something even if a little - and keep track of her weight please

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Hi all,

What medications are you using.?
Make sure you clean tank with a recommended cleaner 1-2X a day w/ a positive Coccidia test.

I like to use cardboard platforms but you can do what you want..

Last edited:

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
What medications are you using.?
Make sure you clean tank with a recommended cleaner 1-2X a day w/ a positive Coccidia test.

I like to use cardboard platforms but you can do what you want..
Thanks! Do you have a suggested cleaner? And she’s on Ponazuril 0.6. Ml every 48 hours for 3 doses. I’ll attach a pic of the bottle for full clarity. The pic has her name from before we discovered she was a she lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 47

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
Thanks! Do you have a suggested cleaner? And she’s on Ponazuril 0.6. Ml every 48 hours for 3 doses. I’ll attach a pic of the bottle for full clarity. The pic has her name from before we discovered she was a she lol
That's a good medication for the pinworms.
What is she on for Coccidia
F10 is a good vet disinfectant - you can find it on www.pangeareptiles.com

Also, I'd get vet disinfectant

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
That's a good medication for the pinworms.
What is she on for Coccidia

Also, I'd get vet disinfectant
I’m actually looking online now at places I can get a good disinfectant locally tomorrow.

As for the meds, her vet said that’s all she needed to treat her. I trusted her word on it. Should I make a call back up and request something else as well?

I have to say, she’s been difficult giving the meds to. None of the tactics I’ve tried have worked. I ended up having to get out some dubias so that she’d open her mouth and I could squirt a little in. She’s due for her next dose tomorrow and if I have difficulty again, I might actually take her back to the vet so they can help administer.

SkittlesK

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Kamo
I’m actually looking online now at places I can get a good disinfectant locally tomorrow.

As for the meds, her vet said that’s all she needed to treat her. I trusted her word on it. Should I make a call back up and request something else as well?

I have to say, she’s been difficult giving the meds to. None of the tactics I’ve tried have worked. I ended up having to get out some dubias so that she’d open her mouth and I could squirt a little in. She’s due for her next dose tomorrow and if I have difficulty again, I might actually take her back to the vet so they can help administer.
I would use Toltrazuril 1X per day for 3 days for Coccidia.
You can find it online
You can also message Drache_613
She has that medication on her website and proper dosing charts.

& yes, Ponazuril should be effective for the pinworms.

Is she eating?

Krissy_p

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
John McClane
I would use Toltrazuril 1X per day for 3 days for Coccidia.
You can find it online
You can also message Drache_613
She has that medication on her website and proper dosing charts.

& yes, Ponazuril should be effective for the pinworms.

Is she eating?
Sounds good! I might see if there’s somewhere I can get it shipped to me fast.

Yesterday, she picked at her greens and ate them if I hand fed. Today, she was not interested in her greens AT ALL. She did take two dubias rather fast, but those were my last two dubias until tomorrow. I do have plenty of superworms, but I didn’t feed those simply because she hasn’t pooped in so many days (I read online that sometimes superworms can cause impactions due to their exoskeletons- so I wasn’t sure if I should since she hasn’t pooped?) I might be over thinking it. If she won’t touch her greens tomorrow, I’ll see if she will take worms.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
consult with @Drache613 on the medications. she is a vet tech but she's on very late at night.

is she still eating the dubias? if so, inject the medication into one right before feeding time, and then make sure that bug gets eaten.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom