Scales for weighing your beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

contessa20

Hatchling Member
I bought mine from Beautiful Dragons for $41 but I've seen similar ones in Wal-Mart and Target before.

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
I use the normal kitchen scales, i wrap Gizmo up in a towel (after zeroing the scale with the towel on it, just so she dosnt run off.

Owner of Max

Hatchling Member
I think this is the best deal around!

http://www.deerfernfarms.com/Supplies.htm

1000gram-Compact Scale $25 + shipping

Tracking your animals' weight is extremely unreliable by "eye". Uro's vary their food intake seasonally and many people become concerned their companion is ill and must be losing weight when these events occur. Additionally. many new arrivals or stressed individuals may not eat in front of the owners, so the owners become convinced that the Uro isn't eating. Sometimes the animal is actually fine and other times weight loss is actually occurring but via a gradual, long decline easy to miss when you see them every day. A digital gram scale is the BEST way to know for sure how your pets or breeders are doing. For breeders, tracking weight over time is essential to good management. If you wish to give your own medications or worming, you HAVE to know exactly what your animals weigh - guessing is NOT an option.

Unfortunately, most pet owners balk at the high cost of accurate gram scales. But if you wish us to help you with dosing for worming or to determine how your Uro is progressing (a common request), we really need you to supply us with it's true weight. So we've found a highly compact (only 4.5 inches x 2.75 inches), highly accurate (+,- 0.1 gram) digital scale that will meet anyone's budget constraints. It handles up to 1000 grams which will accommodate all but the very largest adult Egyptian Uromastyx while recording measurements down to 1/10 of 1 gram for precise tracking of even the smallest hatchlings. It can also measure in ounces, has a bright backlight for easy reading, plus auto-shutoff with a low batter indicator. It also has an automatic calibration feature if you ever need to re-calibrate it for any reason (you just need a 100 gram calibration weight or similar known mass of 100 grams) plus it comes with a 5 year warranty from the manufacture (US-Balance). It comes with a clear cover which locks the scale to prevent you from accidentally damaging the scale by placing something absurdly heavy on it by mistake - (you simply flip it off to release the scale and being taking readings). It's really a top notch scale - nothing else comes close for the money.

[Note this scale is extremely compact (it literally fits in the palm of your hand) but still can accommodate the typical Uromastyx, Greek/Russian Tortoise, most commonly kept pet lizards as well as Rat/King/Milk snakes and young pythons/boas. Simply get a tall, narrow Tupperware-like container from any grocery store, place it on the scale, and hit the "tare" button. This subtracts the container's weight from the reading. Then add your lizard and get it's weight displayed accurate to 1/10 of 1 gram. Our only complaint is that with the Tupperware container placed directly on the scales platform, it tends to hide the numbers. We solve this by placing a small container like an empty mini-cat food can between the scale platform and the Tupperware container. This raises the Tupperware high enough to make it easy to read the scale - the photos above were taken that way -it's a reading of an 11", near-adult, 246.7 gram Ebony Uromastyx male].

We currently offer this scale for just $25 plus $4.75 shipping by Priority mail (the price will show up in the shopping cart as $29.75 with $0 shipping charges added). It's easily the least expensive highly accurate scale available.

My super wal-mart carried a digitial kitchen scale with a decent size platform for around 24 bucks. It weighs up to 10 lbs, in grams ounces and pounds.

bluesoda025

Hatchling Member
I just use a digital kitchen scale for mine. Got it off of ebay for a pretty good price. Can't remember how much, probably around $20 or so.. and it measures in grams so it's good for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom