Scale rot/ yellow fungus

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
Help ease my mind… what does this look like to you? We have a vet appt on Monday.
Husbandry is as near to perfect as can get in conjunction with vets advice, she just went through a round of baytril( intramuscular injection) for a suspected GI tract infection and I have noticed this recently. I thought it was shed at first but it seems very bright for shed and the middle black scale concerns me. Any advice until we get home to my vet on monday?

Attachments

• 03CA1773-E3F6-4004-BC27-5D4ADBD5477D.jpeg
    03CA1773-E3F6-4004-BC27-5D4ADBD5477D.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 170
  • DB8B127E-6885-484A-BE36-635A09F2723F.jpeg
    DB8B127E-6885-484A-BE36-635A09F2723F.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 001F973E-6E70-4863-892F-05043FE0749A.jpeg
    001F973E-6E70-4863-892F-05043FE0749A.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 116
  • A9118154-7848-4DE7-9034-2B1A13379477.jpeg
    A9118154-7848-4DE7-9034-2B1A13379477.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 118

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
Help ease my mind… what does this look like to you? We have a vet appt on Monday.
Husbandry is as near to perfect as can get in conjunction with vets advice, she just went through a round of baytril( intramuscular injection) for a suspected GI tract infection and I have noticed this recently. I thought it was shed at first but it seems very bright for shed and the middle black scale concerns me. Any advice until we get home to my vet on monday?
I realized I said she got injections,, I just wanted to make it clear that this was NOT and injection site so there is no way it was caused by the needle.

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
ok try getting a toothbrush thats not been used and srub the area bc Mango had banana stuck to her scale and i thought it was a weird moldy scale until i used you bath brush/ tooth brush and it came off with a few scrubs
We are driving back home to Colorado , so I’ll give her a bath tonight when we get to our hotel. However, I got up close to it and tried rubbing gently with a baby wipe already and it looks like the scales themselves are colored rather than good being stuck on top of them

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 81

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It looks a little like fungal trouble but not bad. Do you have an antibiotic ointment you could put on that area for a few days or
you could also get some anti-fungal cream. You can try lamisil or monistat to put on that area to see if it clears that up.

Tracie

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
Hello,

It looks a little like fungal trouble but not bad. Do you have an antibiotic ointment you could put on that area for a few days or
you could also get some anti-fungal cream. You can try lamisil or monistat to put on that area to see if it clears that up.

Tracie
So we are on the road as we were visiting family over the holidays. We are driving back to Colorado now. We have a vet appt at 4:30 for helios on Monday,, in your experienced opinion,— can it wait until then? We will be home later tonight if it’s not too snowy through the mountains and I can go to a drugstore if something needs to be done right away.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't look like much of anything. I do question what the vet meant by a suspected G.I issue , what was the problem/symptoms that led to the vets diagnosis ?

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
It doesn't look like much of anything. I do question what the vet meant by a suspected G.I issue , what was the problem/symptoms that led to the vets diagnosis ?
Well she just finished the round of antibiotics last week,, she had been straining to go to the bathroom and running around her cage constantly glass surfing and looked uncomfortable. Her belly was also distended. She also got X-rays which I can attach below. I had suspected eggs when I first brought her in as she was showing similar behaviors to other females I’ve had lay. She does seem to be feeling better and is able to use the restroom now after the antibiotics. She is a leatherback morph.. she does not have any other spots of very bright yellow coloration like this, only orange, which is why it looks suspect to me especially since that area is in shed. It has never been that bright yellow there.

Attachments

• B13263F5-D74C-4C8A-9255-626C657A1BC9.jpeg
    B13263F5-D74C-4C8A-9255-626C657A1BC9.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DA7AD6BA-9E70-43EF-A410-FBC7BD836C07.jpeg
    DA7AD6BA-9E70-43EF-A410-FBC7BD836C07.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 76

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
Well she just finished the round of antibiotics last week,, she had been straining to go to the bathroom and running around her cage constantly glass surfing and looked uncomfortable. Her belly was also distended. She also got X-rays which I can attach below. I had suspected eggs when I first brought her in as she was showing similar behaviors to other females I’ve had lay. She does seem to be feeling better and is able to use the restroom now after the antibiotics. She is a leatherback morph.. she does not have any other spots of very bright yellow coloration like this, only orange, which is why it looks suspect to me especially since that area is in shed. It has never been that bright yellow there.
Hey, it actually looks like she has eggs forming, can you see all the rounded edges toward her sides ? Do you have a laybox for her ?
According to my vet she doesn’t have eggs. It doesn’t feel like she does either but I do have a digbox for her in case.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Infertile eggs can't usually be felt, that's what throws people off. And I remember very well when a vet told an owner here that their dragon wasn't gravid and she laid eggs the next day. It's good to have the laybox ready, is it in the tank and has she been in it ? Can you post a pic of it ?

HeliosTheBeardie

Original Poster
Infertile eggs can't usually be felt, that's what throws people off. And I remember very well when a vet told an owner here that their dragon wasn't gravid and she laid eggs the next day. It's good to have the laybox ready, is it in the tank and has she been in it ? Can you post a pic of it ?
I don’t know,, I’ve had a decent amount of experience with females and I’ve had a few lay on me and none of her behavior is similar. She doesn’t have a dig box in her cage because she licks and eats everything so she gets supervised time in it. We are on the road right now from being away but we will be home tonight however I will post an old photo of her tank. She is in a 70gallon at the moment. (She only has one hide as she never uses hides, I’ve tried a variety of them over the 3 years I’ve had her and she never prefers to use them)

Attachments

• 076A5182-581E-4409-919D-B2693E7A093E.jpeg
    076A5182-581E-4409-919D-B2693E7A093E.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 69

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Nice set up ! Just watch out that she doesn't snag a nail on the mesh hammock, it's not uncommon. So your dragon's behavior that you listed is actually common in dragons carrying eggs. The restlessness, glass surfing, straining to poo [ sometimes they make multiple small ones a day ] are all possible indicators. Be sure to have a laybox handy, if you're traveling she may use her hide but it's best to have an actual laybox. And I agree that getting a small tube of Lamisil just in case would be good for the little spot on her side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom