Scale Question

Kokese

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

I beardie snoopy is going through a shed but he’s has a couple concerning scales on his tail. It sort of looks like a dead scale, but he seems to have few spots, not too sure if we should be overly concerned? He’s happy and eating good and otherwise heathy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 140
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 79

Sandy's World

Beardie name(s)
Sandy
Hi everyone,

I beardie snoopy is going through a shed but he’s has a couple concerning scales on his tail. It sort of looks like a dead scale, but he seems to have few spots, not too sure if we should be overly concerned? He’s happy and eating good and otherwise heathy.
My beardie had the exact same thing during one of her sheds. She also had a dark pitch black spot on her back which raised suspicions. When we took her to the vet for her yearly evaluation, turns out it was just the pattern of her scales. They said that their patterns can change drastically from when you got them. With each shed, my bearded dragon would show new stripes and spots. It's most likely the result of shedding, but make sure you watch him to see if he starts to have any behavioral changes. How old is he?

Kokese

Original Poster
My beardie had the exact same thing during one of her sheds. She also had a dark pitch black spot on her back which raised suspicions. When we took her to the vet for her yearly evaluation, turns out it was just the pattern of her scales. They said that their patterns can change drastically from when you got them. With each shed, my bearded dragon would show new stripes and spots. It's most likely the result of shedding, but make sure you watch him to see if he starts to have any behavioral changes. How old is he?

We think he’s pretty close to a year old but we aren’t sure, he did go through a “mini” brumation in February that lasted about 10 days or so. He’s been pretty slow to get back to his ravenous eating but in the last few weeks has really had an increased appetite. Thanks for the reply, we will keep a close eye on it until he’s finished his shed.

Sandy's World

Beardie name(s)
Sandy
We think he’s pretty close to a year old but we aren’t sure, he did go through a “mini” brumation in February that lasted about 10 days or so. He’s been pretty slow to get back to his ravenous eating but in the last few weeks has really had an increased appetite. Thanks for the reply, we will keep a close eye on it until he’s finished his shed.
He sounds like he's doing good. How often do you bathe him? What do feed him, and how often?

Kokese

Original Poster
He sounds like he's doing good. How often do you bathe him? What do feed him, and how often?
We try to bath him once a week or so, sometimes more if he’s running through his bathroom making a mess 🙈. He mainly eats calcium dusted crickets once per day with the occasional blue horn worm. He’s a horribly picky vegetable eater but does love his dandelion greens and some mango and peppers occasionally. He gets greens daily.

Sandy's World

Beardie name(s)
Sandy
We try to bath him once a week or so, sometimes more if he’s running through his bathroom making a mess 🙈. He mainly eats calcium dusted crickets once per day with the occasional blue horn worm. He’s a horribly picky vegetable eater but does love his dandelion greens and some mango and peppers occasionally. He gets greens daily.
Sounds like his appetite is good. Maybe bathe him twice a week to help the shedding process, but not too often as it can make their scales dry. Are the spots raised or more rough than the other scales? If they are, it could be that the shed didn't come off there. If that's the case, then try lightly brushing it with a toothbrush the next time you bathe him.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom